Show Conditioning Thread

sandiklaws

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Brewster, Cape Cod MA
OK so this is the year I want to begin to show in earnest. I have zero guidance in regards to how to make the leap from small fair shows to the pro level, and want to give my stock every advantage I can. I went to Northeastern Poultry Congress show and did OK (took best hen of my breed) and I am ready to take it to the next level. I have also learned AI, so my show girls can still be used as breeders... actually very excited about the prospect of pedigrees as well as showing. So I feel I am ready to start planning a small conditioning room for my birds. I have both large fowl and bantam and hope to design a cage room with automatic waterers to reduce labor.

I need tons of input, advice and pictures as well as recommendations regarding where to buy materials. My last show I did well with a hen that was just 3 weeks removed from the breeding pen and had just had a couple of baths, but I know it was just because she is very nice NOT her condition. I feel that she might have done even better had she been in tip-top show shape. I saw folks with lab coats and gear working with their birds at the show.

I have so many questions!

How do you keep the feathered feet birds from trashing themselves?
What should I be teaching my birds in regards to show training?
What is the best diet/supplement/feed?
Wire floor or shavings?
How much space for each bird?
What should I use on the bird for the day of the show? (saw people using stuff what the heck was it?)
How far is too far to travel?
Can you/should you sneak birds into hotels when the weather is very cold?
What vaccines are needed for safety?
How long should I quarantine?
Lets start a dialog about how to condition! Teach me and others how to have success in this wonderful sport!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Q - How do you keep the feathered feet birds from trashing themselves?
A - I use lost of fresh bedding, keep it nice and thick.
Q - What should I be teaching my birds in regards to show training?
A - This will depend a lot on the breed/s you are showing, but the most important this is that the bird is calm in the show pen and when being handled.
Q - What is the best diet/supplement/feed?
A - Again this will depend on the breed and the variety that you are showing.
Q - Wire floor or shavings?
A - I use shavings.
Q - How much space for each bird?
A - I condition Large Fowl breeds in 3'x3' pens and Bantam Breed in 2'x2' pen.
Q - What should I use on the bird for the day of the show? (saw people using stuff what the heck was it?)
A - People will use all sort of stuff on there birds the day of the show, some use Luster's Sheen and or Mineral Oil.
Q - How far is too far to travel?
A - This is up to you, I know people the will go to any good show no matter where in the U.S. it is.
Q - Can you/should you sneak birds into hotels when the weather is very cold?
A - My chickens live out door 24-7 and 365 days a year and there not afraid of the cold.
Q - What vaccines are needed for safety?
A - I don't vaccinate
Q - How long should I quarantine?
A - I don't quarantine any of my birds, I want my fowl to have a immunity to what they might get at a show. I believe what don't kill them will better them.

Chris

I have written some articles on these topics, check my Articles page on my website here: http://www.pathfindersfarm.com/Articles.html

In particular, see this one on Conditioning: http://www.pathfindersfarm.com/Prepping.html

And then this one on what to expect at your first show: http://www.pathfindersfarm.com/Showing.html

I hope those are of some help to you!

Showing is great fun. We're not showing now (with two kids in college at the same time the show budget had to be cut for a time), but hope to get back to it in a year or two. I miss all my friends, they're the best part of the whole thing.

big_smile.png

so... if you are looking at showing in a few months, and have a feather footed breed, how much time is needed prior to the show to make sure the feet look good.(in regards to putting in a show cage) IF the bird actually gets to live like a chicken outdoors w/ access on the ground most of the time (and it has been muddy)

Back
Top Bottom