Show me your YARD doors (not pop doors) - need to build one

N. Virginia

Songster
9 Years
Oct 15, 2010
Hi all:
I'm building my chicken yard out of 1/2" hardware wire and locust posts with cross rails of 2X4s. Want a matching 2X4 door with cross-bracing. Anyone have any ideas about contruction? Thought I'd make the frame, then put wire on, then another 1X4 board, or just the washers and screws that I'm using with the fence.

What do you have? Pics welcome.
Cheers,
N. VA

I don't really have a fenced-in yard with hardwire since my chickens free range.

However, we recently added a secure enclosure for days when we're gone overnight and unable to let them out.

Their little pop door stays open 24/7; however, the enclosure gate stays closed until I open it.

DSC01357.jpg

I used a wooden screen door purchased @ Home Depot for $20..........added 2" X 4" wire to the inside - a hasp-lock and 2 spring-clasps on the outside......works great! ( This pic was taken before the locks were put on - but it gives you an idea of what it looks like.....they come bare wood)

46366_red_door_roost_004.jpg

We made ours out of pallet top (that is what they called them) They came framed like a window so we put two together. Filled in the empty part with other pallet planks and put chicken wire on top. Supported the two with boards running down the sides for the next ones (not shown) and also holds the chicken wire more securely too. Got hinges from habitat for humanity for a $1 each and spring to close the doors $3-4. The wood was all free and it looks good to boot! (the pallets are free of chemicals they are odd sizes and only used for paper so we get an endless supply for FREE)

92428_0503111443.jpg

Back
Top Bottom