Show me your YARD doors (not pop doors) - need to build one

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by N. Virginia, Jul 11, 2011.

1. N. Virginia

N. Virginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Hi all:
    I'm building my chicken yard out of 1/2" hardware wire and locust posts with cross rails of 2X4s. Want a matching 2X4 door with cross-bracing. Anyone have any ideas about contruction? Thought I'd make the frame, then put wire on, then another 1X4 board, or just the washers and screws that I'm using with the fence.

What do you have? Pics welcome.
    Cheers,
    N. VA

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I don't really have a fenced-in yard with hardwire since my chickens free range.

However, we recently added a secure enclosure for days when we're gone overnight and unable to let them out.

Their little pop door stays open 24/7; however, the enclosure gate stays closed until I open it.

[​IMG]

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    That looks great AlienChick!

Nate

4. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    I used a wooden screen door purchased @ Home Depot for $20..........added 2" X 4" wire to the inside - a hasp-lock and 2 spring-clasps on the outside......works great! ( This pic was taken before the locks were put on - but it gives you an idea of what it looks like.....they come bare wood)

[​IMG]

5. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

we used a lot of brackets, to keep our frame straight and lots and lots of staples

6. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    We made ours out of pallet top (that is what they called them) They came framed like a window so we put two together. Filled in the empty part with other pallet planks and put chicken wire on top. Supported the two with boards running down the sides for the next ones (not shown) and also holds the chicken wire more securely too. Got hinges from habitat for humanity for a $1 each and spring to close the doors $3-4. The wood was all free and it looks good to boot! (the pallets are free of chemicals they are odd sizes and only used for paper so we get an endless supply for FREE)

[​IMG]

7. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    [​IMG]

I used a 2x6 and 2x4 I had laying around

8. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    just made from treated 2x4.

[​IMG]

9. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    [​IMG] Great ideas!

10. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I'm loving this thread, lots of great ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by