Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this is gonna be a little pic heavy. Took some pics today of a few of our current brood pens while it was nice out. Pure Albany brood cock Penny Hatch pair (hate his tail is fluffed up in the pic.. he was sitting in the nest bucket before this. LOL!) Pure Radio cock over Mclean pullet Radio/Blueface cock Same Radio/Blueface cock with pure Radio hen Radio cock and Blueface/Grey hen That's all I got around to taking today.. there are way too many to take pics of them all. lol :D
Nice!

Thanks!
smile.png

If you let your birds lay a clutch and set, what is the average clutch size for gamefowl? Is it different for hens and pullets?

Hope the water is subsiding down south!

If you let your birds lay a clutch and set, what is the average clutch size for gamefowl?  Is it different for hens and pullets?

Hope the water is subsiding down south!
me personally pullets usually lay more say up to 16-18 thought they would never set. Hens usually 12-15 but I've had a hen go to 18 before she went Broody. And the older they get the more consistent they get averaging 12. So I guess really its up to the individual bird

Water ended up sucking. I didn't get any but a co-worker got feet in his home and rental properties in bogalusa La. Bosses house got about a foot as well as the office and shop, his vehicle fleet are ok. Had major flooding west, north, and now east but where I'm at the bayous don't meet the river's that are cresting.

Side note if I keep taking the eggs most will eventually go Broody on one egg

My redquill pullet is a good example right now I don't know exactly how many she has but it's a lot and she's not Broody yet

Last edited:
Most of our hens will set as soon as there are 6-8 eggs in the clutch. They are broody little buggers. We have stumbled onto game hens setting under a brush pile or in a barrel with 10-12 or more. It varies. I wont let a hen set on many more than 7 or 8 eggs usually because any more and they have a hard time covering them completely. But then it depends on the size of the hen. Bigger hens can cover more than smaller hens.

If we keep collecting the eggs out of the nests each day for the incubator, most of our hens keep laying for a while. But like sdm111 said, when they take a notion to set they will set, whether its on 1 egg or even the golf ball we use as nest eggs. Lol.

Thanks for the input. I do not know if it is the warm early spring or what, but most seem to keep laying without much interest in setting. We are supposed to get back to lower night time temps, so I may just have to pull the eggs and put them in the incubator! I have one pullet that went right to setting on 9 eggs, but that is it so far. All 9 are developing as I was going to pull any duds to make it easier for her to cover them.

SDM, glad to hear you came out okay so far. Water just makes a mess of everything it touches especially when it gets in the house!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom