Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my ruble hen and miner pullet both quit on their (5) chicks each. Want nothing to do with them now. I just penned all 10 of em. Can't let em run around on their own with no momma.

When they go back to laying or getting ready to usually the chicks have to go. I do have one hen with quail size chicks and laying to, but she's older to. I had another pullet wean hers about quail size, laid a few eggs and back to setting, so I gave her some preferred eggs and now she's got them hatched off.

No is what had happened was, I was gonna break up all stags this weekend but I procrastinated and came home to this

The only thing that I think coulda happened was the 2 stags got into it. So I separated the other 2 into dome pens and put a pullet in each. Then realized crap I need to keep them (pullets) together to breed back to their dad so I had to hurry and make a trio. Usually no I don't pair up yet but needed to break some up

That looks like heat stroke had a hand in that. Two of my free-range broody hens got into it yesterday and heat just about got both even before they could do real damage. Just flying to roost is a problem when temperature is over 100.

When they go back to laying or getting ready to usually the chicks have to go. I do have one hen with quail size chicks and laying to, but she's older to. I had another pullet wean hers about quail size, laid a few eggs and back to setting, so I gave her some preferred eggs and now she's got them hatched off.
I had a blue last year stay with them til about 5 months lol. That was pushing it but she kept the ruble stags from wailing on each other. That was a risk though. Won't do it again just to be safe.

That looks like heat stroke had a hand in that. Two of my free-range broody hens got into it yesterday and heat just about got both even before they could do real damage. Just flying to roost is a problem when temperature is over 100.
probably right Centra its around 96, heat index 107ish and up Thanks

Last edited:
Had 3 die in the past 2 days.. Heat exhaustion.

RIP Gamer (son of Fabio) .. I have 3 of his chicks surviving free range with mama. Sold his offspring off last year. I should have kept a spare.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom