Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont breed just for looks or to keep things pure.... Consider everything else as well... like health, dominance, size, athleticism, brains, and instincts.  Feather quality, proportions, egg productions, flying skills, etc, etc.... Their attitude towards the opposite sex and chicks. 

I am not afraid to cross breed different strains. In theory you have your whole life to experiment and try new things out. if you dont like them you can always sell (or eat them). Every year is a new opportunity to test new breeding pair. And compare offspring to previous years (if you keep older stock around like I do). 

Great fowl werent created by keeping things the same.. its a continuous improvement process. 

disclaimer ***Im not an expert***

My suggestion would be to delete the entire post above from your brain. With all due respect shubin that's got to be the most selfish and disrespectful post to all the people before us that spent their entire life plus generations after to refine a strain/breed to be the best gamecock and for u to suggest to cross and make up designer chickens is the very reason these real gamecocks are dying off after all the hard work.

Imo keep "pures" pure and do crosses if u wish but don't lose sight of the reason we all have these birds to keep them alive in a world that for the most part would like to see them extinct

Shubin, the crossing up part is not something I advocate. The other parts have been at one time or another realized whether acknowledged or not by the greats over the last 8,000 years.

Breeding the same thing over and over again... you end up with the same thing... or even worse (through inbred depression).

As we all know American Games were created via crossing game strains. They were crossing different breeds of games to out-compete "standard" games of the time. Selection of offspring/broods is obviously crucial.

I guarantee people are still doing it in Philipines, Mexico, etc.... based on performance, not a standard of perfection...

My suggestion would be to delete the entire post above from your brain. With all due respect shubin that's got to be the most selfish and disrespectful post to all the people before us that spent their entire life plus generations after to refine a strain/breed to be the best gamecock and for u to suggest to cross and make up designer chickens is the very reason these real gamecocks are dying off after all the hard work.

Imo keep "pures" pure and do crosses if u wish but don't lose sight of the reason we all have these birds to keep them alive in a world that for the most part would like to see them extinct
I respect your opinion but I didnt say anything about designer chickens.. I suggested the exact opposite...

Designer chickens come with names like Kelso, Albany etc... and all meant to look and act the same... But I DO respect the breeders back in the day who created these breeds to outperform the competitions.

But now-a-days a lot of people just want a Kelso, etc. regardless of the individuals bird's qualities.

SDM, I wouldn't view it as disrespectful. Agreed, "pure" lines serve a purpose. Some may argue there is really no such thing as a pure gamefowl when you consider all of the genetic diversity even in a single family. Some breeders may admit to freshening a family, but I imagine, many do not. It seems to be the nature of the game.

Crosses may show potential for new families and be set over time. It is like apple breeding in a sense, thousands and thousands of new apple crosses are planted and grown in the hope of finding the next new star. Most gamefowl lines/crosses come and go, a tiny few make a name for themselves.

Is there really any concern that real gamefowl will die out? The test is pretty simple... It is more of a concern that real "rooster men and women" will disappear.

SDM, I wouldn't view it as disrespectful.  Agreed, "pure" lines serve a purpose.  Some may argue there is really no such thing as a pure gamefowl when you consider all of the genetic diversity even in a single family.  Some breeders may admit to freshening a family, but I imagine, many do not.  It seems to be the nature of the game.  

Crosses may show potential for new families and be set over time.  It is like apple breeding in a sense, thousands and thousands of new apple crosses are planted and grown in the hope of finding the next new star.  Most gamefowl lines/crosses come and go, a tiny few make a name for themselves.  

Is there really any concern that real gamefowl will die out?  The test is pretty simple... It is more of a concern that real "rooster men and women" will disappear. 

I'm pretty new here, but will go ahead and share my views. Sometimes we argue oranges and apples. I believe there are different types of game fowl. There are those bred to keep various lines available, some to keep game fowl for physical/mental abilities, and those for showing. I can't fault anyone for raising Game Fowl for their preferred purposes. I have been more active in showing birds, but also enjoy other gamefowl raised for their various purposes and try to view (judge) them for their specific purpose. With the relatively new state and federal statutes, I feel sure there will be a decline in the "real rooster men and women".

Anyway

Putting the hurt on em lol

RoosterHavoc - I just wanted to let you know the fiskars are great. Thank you for your help.
No problem. I bought a pair of "dubbing" shears awhile back. I started to cut the comb and couldn't believe how sh*tty they were, went right in the trash. I use the bigger fiskars for the comb and the smaller ones they sell for the wattles and ear lobes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom