Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
An older gentleman was selling out of birds, they had picked up the cocks and were coming the next week for the hens. He gave me the eggs they laid that week. 5 hatched and I raised & put out on grass. A owl pulled the heads off 4 of them. The sole survivor was this hailstone hen. I hatched every egg she laid. She went broody,I broke her and hatched the next eggs. Then she disappeared don't know if it was a fox or a hawk.

She might be setting again. Anyways I was under the assumption the cock was Hailstone. Also I'm not the best at conveying what I'm trying to say. I also know very little about breeding just enough to get me by
tongue.png

Last edited:
She might be setting again. Anyways I was under the assumption the cock was Hailstone. Also I'm not the best at conveying what I'm trying to say. I also know very little about breeding just enough to get me by :p  

Yhat is where we all start. See if you can track down the balance of the Hail Stones the old timer had. Better yet see if you can find others not of his yard. Then tighten up you predator management. Put best birds in center of yard and if practical make so you have more than one defensive perimeter. And stop feeding the owls.

Quote:
Whenever we had problems we would put games in center of yard and put cheap chicken s around perimeter. Then stay up all night with some company

Quote:
Whenever we had problems we would put games in center of yard and put cheap chicken s around perimeter. Then stay up all night with some company
I do that now on occasion for fun. Dogs are penned up and I hide in bushes with cell phone, light and camera and sometimes light rifle. Makes so I can see how critter is trying my perimeter and makes so I can call wife to release dogs at best time. Makes for some cool owl observations.

These birds are in my free range flock I've had for 16 years. They sleep in the rafters of my goat barn. So I did think she had a hidden nest. But I have not seen her since spring. I'm going to set up brother sister and see what I get, thanks for the help

Hi guys, I have a question. I have a mixed breed rooster and I am wondering if he might have some kind of gamefowl ancestry in there somewhere. I've been combing the BYC archives and looking at pictures, but I wondered if I could post a picture of my rooster here so that someone who is more familiar with gamefowl could tell me what they see?

I wanted to ask first so I didn't derail the thread.

Post up we would love to see a pic but chances are we won't be able to give a difinitive answer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom