Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Here is my first hen hatched brood of 2012 that started hatching yesterday and left nest late today. Of 17 eggs she committed to brood, 17 hatched, and all appear vigerous. She will be allowed to tend chicks for about 2 weeks and then reconditioned for a second clutch by same cock. Then she will get balance of year off.

Here is my first hen hatched brood of 2012 that started hatching yesterday and left nest late today. Of 17 eggs she committed to brood, 17 hatched, and all appear vigerous. She will be allowed to tend chicks for about 2 weeks and then reconditioned for a second clutch by same cock. Then she will get balance of year off.

what breed are they
they all look healthy and well

ep.gif
got eggs hatching in the bator right now!!!!!!!!!!!
yesss.gif

My families line.

I put considerable effort into conditioning hens prior to and during egg laying which may enhance quality of chicks. Genetics is good and both parents mature but neither old.

Two more hens should come off over next two days.

what do you do when prepping the hens?

Make certain they have access to all the edible greens they want. This done by keeping them in mobile pens on ground that moved every other day. When penned up hens also kept isolated from others to reduce stress that occurs even without outward signs of fighting. Bump up protein intake with fishmeal. Sometimes I will also feed back crushed boiled eggs. I also treat them with a few mealsworms. Nutrition of mealworms is not all that important, rather it gets hens to relax when I am working about pens. Flighty hens equals stressed hens and some games are prone to be flighty.

Make certain they have access to all the edible greens they want. This done by keeping them in mobile pens on ground that moved every other day. When penned up hens also kept isolated from others to reduce stress that occurs even without outward signs of fighting. Bump up protein intake with fishmeal. Sometimes I will also feed back crushed boiled eggs. I also treat them with a few mealsworms. Nutrition of mealworms is not all that important, rather it gets hens to relax when I am working about pens. Flighty hens equals stressed hens and some games are prone to be flighty.

so little dome pens like in your picture? and just keep one in each do you breed them like this or move them to the roosters pen?

so little dome pens like in your picture? and just keep one in each do you breed them like this or move them to the roosters pen?

Yes, like in picture.

When only one hen bred by a rooster he stays with her around the clock. With up to three hens rooster is rotated daily between pens at end of day so he is with a given hen every second or third day. Roosters used as such are very tame and walk between pens on their own. Takes time to get that down ahead of breeding season. You gotta be on toes to make certain he goes to proper hen pen and not to another rooster. With a more wiley cock used to cover two hens, I let him and both hens free a few minutes before dark. They feed before going roost on front porch. After dark I collect them and put hens back in respective cages and rooster in with appropriate hen. In reality he likely more than does job of covering hens during the 15-30 mminutes before going to roost but having him shack up with ladies keeps need for number of pens down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom