Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Phoenix considered a gamefowl? I bought a trio at flea market this morning.

Sure are some shiny pens. Oh and the birds look good too
Got 15 outta the house, got another 7 going outside in a day or so which leaves me with 32 still in the house and another 7 hatching Wednesday. Which leaves me with 31 eggs after that in the incubator.

Last edited:
Gonna have to build an extra pen or so. Since none of my hens will tolerate their former roomies. Gotta love it.

it only takes literally 5 mins. out and they hate them
all hens I raise up now will never be separated. I let my two ruble hens out and a couple miners. The Wheaton ruble made a beeline for my other ruble hen from about 35 yds or so and promptly got a beat down.
This had nothing to do with trying to pen them together again. I was just letting them run the yard for a bit.

Last edited:
Long story short I have one pen with a pair of blues and all other hens are single penned.
1f621.png

I am trying to improve the early season broody hen and clutch setup to control for increased rain events. Direct rain has been difficult to stop from hitting clutches before incubation starts. We are up a bit on a bluff and get fine cold misty rain that soaks even nest under cover. Biggest problem may be related to bedding (plant stems) that may promote contamination of developing embryos. Generally the drier the better during early spring. By accident I loaded some nesting sites with crushed oyster shell instead of plant parts and got good hatch relative to the other nests used at the same time. I am going to setup more such nest to see how hatch rate reacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom