Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by delawaregirl09, Sep 27, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Thank you, and welcome to BYC ! It's always so nice to have new members join our thread!

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    to everyone:
    Yes it is muddy here but the weather is so nice I have to let them out. I'm in the process of building a second run so both flocks have one and I can keep them in or let them out. I can't let both flocks out together as Eric and Nick get into it pretty bad. I expect I'll have to build a rooster prison. Anyhow when I have both runs I'll be able to plant some quick grass and give the yard a day or two to recover each week.
    I have another part of the property that's not fenced in and is bordered by woods on three sides. I'm just nervous about fox or them getting lost. I have some wild turkeys that are coming to glean through the chicken mess I've been using to fill in the puddled areas and new garden beds. Oh plus the girls have figured out how to get into my raised garden beds and like to lay around and relax. You'd think they were part pig.

Kathy- I have a new grandson named Kaedin, but he's in Germany. I've only seen pics. You are fortunate.

Specklehen - I can not understand why anyone would give up Dels. No ones seems to know whether single breed flocks lay better than mixed breed flocks, but I expect I'll be keeping my Dels seperated. They're fed the same as all the others and yet lay bigger eggs. Even the Ideal Dels. The Alden Dels have laid from the day I brought them home. They took the move in stride and adjusted very well. I would recommend anyone buying hens to get eggs right away to get Dels.

I posted the pics so you all could critique them. I posted pics of their tail feathers and from behind so you could judge the pattern and width. I tried to get some straight on shots but they would not cooperate. One of the things I noticed of the Ideal hens is their hackle feathers are not "barred". Which is what I thought origianl Del hens had. Am I right? My Alden Dels have those barred feathers, though not alot of black. I'll pull feathers and post pics.

I may take my wifes scale out to the coop to get weights or buy one especially for that. Does anyone weigh their birds? If I do take her scale I'll have to wait til she not home or asleep. LOL

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Good morning everybody! My nap lasted a little bit into the evening yesterday... and into this morning... [​IMG] BUT, I woke up and got right to work, hope you enjoy the pics!

Quote:Thank you! I know everybody has been waiting on a few pictures... Out of the 14 eggs Cyn sent 6 have hatched, 5 are in the brooder and 1 is still in the bator. Here are the Dell babies that have hatched so far, don't let the cuteness blind you. [​IMG]

The five of them, they're all so curious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The most recent hatchling before little Quasi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some early signs of stink eye showing perhaps? L0L.

[​IMG]

Cuteness overload! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quote:Quasi is up and walking around, he's sleeping more than anything else. I would be exhausted too though after all of that struggling, poor little guy. I'm kind of hoping that he's my roo that I'll be keeping, Quasimodo would be the most perfect name! [​IMG] Dusty's egg hasn't pipped yet, I don't know how long I'm going to keep the incubator running. I still have the Orp egg, 3 W/BW Ameraucanas and 8 Delaware eggs inside. I wish a few more of the Delawares would pip and come out! [​IMG] How much longer would y'all wait? Today is day 23.

Quote:His toes are all curled up on his left foot Cyn, do you think they'll straighten out on their own? It looks better than it did when he hatched but he still wobbles a lot because of it. Here's a few pictures of him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I've gotta go feed the big girls! It was raining yesterday so I didn't get to go out and spend much time with them, if they knew about all of the babies inside I'm sure they would turn green. [​IMG] They'll forgive me though, I went and picked up some BOSS yesterday so they'll pig out on that and forget all about baby chicks.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Del hens do have barred hackles, but on skinny feathers, it looks more like stippling. Some have a sort of semi-laced appearance, too, but seems the ones with that also have really good tail black. Not sure it holds true every time, though.

Jeremy, the curled toes may just straighten out as the poor little thing becomes un-cramped. I bet it was a big baby and the poor little feet were just mashed up in the egg. I hope more hatch for you. At the end of Day 23, I'd candle the remaining ones. I've never had one hatch past that time.

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    At this point what should I be looking for when I candle, movement?

How do the babies look? [​IMG]

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Go, Quasimodo!!!! He'll make it-he just needs a little time!

Those are really cute pictures, Jeremy, you got some great shots!

7. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    Quote:you will be looking for movement (but a full grown chick will fill up the whole egg and have little room to move) and you are trying to see if they have broken into the air cell. If they are not in the air cell, they probably suffocated in the egg. And that is by no means any thing that could have been prevented. Sometimes they just can't get turned to break out and can't get air when they need it. But think positive thoughts![​IMG]

Forgot to say that I love little Del fuzz buts! They look great!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Quasi seems like a fighter... he's peeping and running around the incubator like crazy, I think he'll make it.

These little Dells already have a hold on my heart, in the past 24 hours I've hardly left the brooder. [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Kathy is right, look in the aircell. May have to turn that end toward the light till you can see. At this late date, I usually tap a tiny hole in the top of that end, the size of a head of a straight pin, so they can get air till they can figure out how to get out, though often it's just too late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by