Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Quote:
That has been happening. I think some people are getting frustrated when they come to this thread looking for Delaware information.
I think we chat too much. What do you all think? How can we resolve this issue, of missing questions and concerns?
BTW .... I did acknowledge your question, back on post # 1127, with my observation.....

Seems to me I asked this question, (about more chatting than Del info) several weeks ago.

I think that post one got lost too.
hide.gif

Lisa, How old is Norbit. I have 9 week olds and their legs all look a bit long for their body, but that is adolescence I think. Or is he older. I checked your other post and couldn't tell.

Bad bad Norbit. Have you tried carrying him around with you for an hour or so, Or charging back at him when he charges you. Those are both dominant behaviors that I have heard some people say are effective..... Although the neighbors might wonder.
wee.gif

Thanks kathy....I must have overlooked your post
hide.gif

chksontherun....Norbit is 17 weeks old....I have charged back at him and he avoids me afterwards, but the next day, he seems to have forgotten all about it....I also have been picking him up when he bites, but not for an hour - more like a few minutes....my husband has held him upside down a couple of times and that has kind of worked for him, but Norbit still trys to test him a little bit.....I think Norbit has a head full of rocks!!!
th.gif

~Lisa~

Lisa, don't give up on Norbit!!! It took several weeks of carrying Luke around upside down before he quit going for my fingers. Now he perches on my knee or leg when I sit in the run, and even bumps one of the girls off to get "his" spot. I think he just had a struggle believing I was head roo.

As to leg length, if he seems in proportion, I wouldn't worry. Is he tall in general? I think my boys went through a leggy stage back then, too, BUT I know the least of anyone here, so maybe someone else besides Kathy has an opinion. Kathy's opinion was probably a good one!

I love the chat- you all are pretty important to me, it has been hard to make friends after moving here. I know I yak a lot here, ( the safety of the 'net - no one is staring at me) but I am a bit on the shy/reserved side in person and it's always been hard for me to make friends. I thought we had a decent balance between chat and info, but maybe we just all need to make sure we take the time to read everyone's posts- even if we have been gone for a day or two??? I know I try to say something to everyone, but I haven't the experience the rest of you have, and sometimes I just don't know what to say. And then, of course I end up sounding dumb.

Marty- if you still need those pics for the website, pm me, please. I sort of feel like a bragger offering them, but hey-

Last edited:
jolatebay, dont worry bout sounding dumb.
Kath, thanks for the kind words.

Sounds like some have alot of room for alot of Dels. I'm trying to unload some Aussies ans Slw's so I have room for the new del hens. No one wants bald birds. Gotta figure out where to put them so the feathers grow back. Eric really worked them over and theres 's some picking going on at roosting time I think. gotta redesign the roosting situation.

Think I'm going to have to give some chicks away if no one buys them. You'd think for a buck a peice they'd sell.

Lisa is Norbit biting? the 5 roos from my GA hatch were biter's but thy're getting better. Maybe it's the attention I give them at night. That or the beating thy'er taking from the older girls at roosting time.

countrychick: don't know enough about the standard to say about roo legs.

Anyone here vaccinate their birds? What for and where do you get the stuff to do it with. I got chicks I hatched or whatever, should I be vaccinating them?

Quote:
Lisa...about Norbit. Have you done the usual things?

1. Grabbed him up and held his beak shut while telling him firmly NO....and hold it until he stops struggling and gets the idea?

2. Snatch him up and carry him around like a baby in front of the women and until he behaves himself?

3. Giving him a lavender bubble bath (we have Jasmine now too) in the presence of his women and hosed him off to humiliate him?

4. Bite him back and charge him!

*notes:

#3 is a technique designed and invented by my 13 yo DD who applied said technique on our former EE rooster who would sneak up behind her and fly up at her legs or charge her. It was extremely affective and stopped his charging nonsense. See how to perform this technique here

#4 is the last resort because it will probably either work and stop his nonsense or totally tick him off and make him worse.

Sadly, the Fire Department was not called. Thor insisted that I go up the tree and get her....he was determined to pitch a fit until I got her down. which btw I did and half way down she started flapping and being a jerk so I chucked her out into the yard where Thor began chasing her, pecking her backside and chasing her to the coop.
gig.gif
I did watch her today and she flys up to that lower branch from the middle rail of the 3 rail fence...then she hops her way up higher and higher. What a nut she is.

Yes Cyn...that is your grandchild....Kira's daughter no less. Was Kira such a pain in the butt? LOL

Quote:
Well the easiest way to avoid missing them is to actually read all of the posts when you click "new posts" and not just skim through the replies (not you personally I mean individually as we click new posts). I do not reply if I have no input or do not know the answer to the questions....I should probably acknowledge the questions even if I cannot assist.

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
You 2 are sooooo good at replying to everyone! You have such great advise, too.
thumbsup.gif
I love the chat, also. Like I have said before, this is like home, and family. I just don't want to offend anyone, especially new people.

Quote:
Tim, This is something I have been considering, for sure. I even purchased Marek's vaccine, and have it in my refrigerator. From what I understand, it is effective on about 90% of the birds. I have read alot of pros and cons about it, and I believe the pros outweigh the cons. I found a list of suggested vaccinations and when to give them, but I can't seem to locate it right now. I would be devastated to lose all my stock to illness that could possibly be prevented, so am really considering the alternatives.

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear this. How many have you lost? What symptoms do you see? If you call your county or state office, they should be able to help you sort things out, and test for this.

Last edited:
Quote:
What say you? Pfffttttt you have as much dellie experience as I have...probably more because I just have two nut cases...one that is a biting tree hopping dingbat and the other that thinks she is not a chicken. To be honest...every single danged thing I have learned in this chicken journey is solely due to trial and error and consulting my personal chicken experts... Cyn and her DH Tom. Good grief she has had me call and say "What is this?" "What do I do?" LOL You have never made a post that I found the slightest bit dumb...you have only ever expressed common sense, your opinions and experiences or what you have learned. That is all any of us can do.

I completely understand how you feel about moving and the lack of friends...I suffer the same problem. I suffer it too because no one understands my love for my chickens or my enjoyment of having them around. I am lucky that Sarah moved to this area the same time I did so there is someone from BYC literally right down the road. I admit to spending more time on the phone with Cynthia and her DH than I do with my own sister. We laugh, we vent, we bounce ideas and we talk about our chickens and life. I feel closer to her than most people I know personally. Chicken people family are often better than the real folks we see all the time.
wink.png
I refer to it as My family (blood) and My extended family (family by choice).

I certainly do try to help new folks whenever I can and I try to read every post in this thread...I will pay more attention to acknowledging questions, even when I do not know the answer though because I do not want anyone to feel "left out" or "overlooked".

Well, your sister and I have the same name, so what's the diff, really?
wink.png
LOL. We have such crazy, silly, and sometimes very intense conversations, don't we, Ladyhawk, my pal?

I admit that I skim more than actually read. I'm running from one thing to another, trying to spend a good part of each day quilting. I have paint for my bedroom and am in the process of removing wallpaper, so soon I hope to post pics of my newly decorated bedroom with new paint and spiffy new quilt as well (in a different thread of course). I do miss questions lots lately. And my hand and arm hurt from quilting and lifting hand weights and sometimes, I don't have it in me to write much. Ouch.

To get back to Delawares, it was raining yet again so I grabbed by DH's felt cowboy hat to fend off the rain and headed out to Isaac's pen to shoo them back inside. I came around the corner and he was very alarmed, cackling, craning his neck up into the air, seeming to look behind me at something. I turned back, saw nothing and then I realized he was freaked out by the hat.
roll.png
I had to remove it in order to calm him down, silly rooster.

Back
Top Bottom