Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Quote:
#1 has the better tail color (what's there
big_smile.png
) looks as if he's sorta mini molting now. need a little better body shots, take one of each from both sides a down from top and a front and rear shot if you want to get the best idea on body type from what I see #1. #2 has the undesirable black tail feathering of the Columbian pattern.

Hard to find good quality Dels without pinched tails esp. hatchery type at least yours do have good yellowing in the feet it seems that's another bad trait to is green feet in Dels, it pops up too often in uncontrolled/mass produced breeding as in hatchery type. Also watch out for too much blackening(Columbian striping) in the necks too esp pullets they should look just like the one pullet you posted more like barring/they call it stippled/stippling.

Jeff

Alright! looks like I'm learning something
smile.png
thanks for the info- I just can't stop looking at bird pics now!! I will try and get the shots mentioned, they are so active, it is hard to do. and I'm sending these over my phone messaging so I'm probably going to have a huge bill next month agh!

Yes chicken pics are hard to get that's one thing I always salute to someone who gets a good one 'cause I sometimes get too aggravated and give up on getting them.
rant.gif

Jeff

catdaddyfroJeff
Alright! looks like I'm learning something
smile.png
thanks for the info- I just can't stop looking at bird pics now!! I will try and get the shots mentioned, they are so active, it is hard to do. and I'm sending these over my phone messaging so I'm probably going to have a huge bill next month agh![/quote :

Yes chicken pics are hard to get that's one thing I always salute to someone who gets a good one 'cause I sometimes get too aggravated and give up on getting them.
rant.gif

Jeff

I FEEL YA THERE!! how do people get beautiful wonderful picture of their birds!!
i have two turkeys that are camra hogs when i pull it out they always get in my way every photo i have will have something from my turkey. a feather a butt a beak URG!!!!​

Bean, from these pictures, I would keep BOTH if there was any way I could, the second ones tail IS a good tail for a hen line, and in these pics, both bodies look rounded in front and not loaf shaped.
If you can only keep one, again keep the one that looks most like a bowl in the underline and that when you look down on him, the width in the front and back are as close to the same as possible.

Quote:
ok I will look for those- I could keep both, I have not fully committed to the trade I was talking to someone about (thinking of trading one boy and a few pullets for some Welsumer pullets). I really like the dark eggs, and thought it would be neat to try some Wellies, but not so sure I want to disrupt the laying again. It's happening right now- i got some new pullets and all the established layers are not feeling into it
smile.png
so, I might not do the trade.

Quote:
Not to derail the conversation, but what, exactly, does a "pinched" tail mean? I've heard this around here and on the Delaware site and studied pictures but I just don't seem to be able to "get" what that means.

Also, the green feet is something I just saw in one of my cornish crosses. Where do the green feet come from in delawares? And wouldn't that mean that the crosses have had delaware in them at some point or am I just way, way off?

Quote:
Not to derail the conversation, but what, exactly, does a "pinched" tail mean? I've heard this around here and on the Delaware site and studied pictures but I just don't seem to be able to "get" what that means.

Also, the green feet is something I just saw in one of my cornish crosses. Where do the green feet come from in delawares? And wouldn't that mean that the crosses have had delaware in them at some point or am I just way, way off?

Hey there galanie, both of the (ill) characteristics you ques. are discussed extensively if you wan to thumb back through this heap of info on here and get a more detailed idea on them. Mrs. Kathy has very good illustrations on theses issues and I'm sure one of the reg. Delaware posters could be more helpful in posting them I'm no good on these fandagled computers 'cept usually getting something stirred up in to much detail all at once. The pinched tail I refer to is when the tail is to tightly closed together where all the tail feathers seem to just bunch up instead of being spread out like an upside down V(^) imagine a tee-pee.

On the greenish hue that comes though in the yellow shanked breeds it is a trait caused y the gene (id) not going into detail as it too early for me to start explaining and probly confuse you more than help as I said there are illustrations of this too and I'm sure the ones that really know how to do searches and save these bits of info will post here for ya. The(id) comes form Barred Rock genetics in the Delaware. On it showing up in the Cornish breed I'm not to familiar with their heiritage or background so I can't help too much other than they are an offspring of Aseel(Asil) games waaaay back when IDK, so they deffinately don't have Delaware in their linage but who knows nowadays what they might be mixed up with esp. if industrial/hatchery type birds.
hu.gif

Hope I helped more then hindered.
big_smile.png

Jeff

Last edited:
Thank you catdaddy! Now I'm puzzling over how one tells from the side view whether a bird has a pinched tail or not, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you. I assume you mean like an upside down V from the back.

Yes, the birds in question are industrial/hatchery as are all Cornish X so yeah, no telling what they have in them. Interesting to know it's from Rock heritage though.

Again, thank you!

ETA: Found them! Post #10989 lol glad I did a search instead of trying to thumb through all those pages. And now I also know how you tell from the side view.

Last edited:
i have 6 4 mo old birds that appear to be Delawares, however, their legs are pink! i believe the father was a Delaware roo, and the mothers were EE. but, i'm not 100% sure on that. if they aren't delawares, what looks just like a delaware but has pink legs? i have a 7th that came from the same Roo, but this bird ( i believe it is cockeral) is solid white, with pink legs.

i know i can't post pictures yet. so maybe soon i can. but, does anyone know what the combo would be to get a delaware looking bird with pink legs?
thx!

delaweggers, very cute! is that the only combo to get the delaware feathering but pink legs? the other hens to choose from would be cuckoo old english or rhode island reds. the eggs they came from were not bantam size and were supposedly colored. i never saw the eggs but i was told they were green.

i am a U of DE grad and ever since i got into chickens i've been trying to acquire a couple Delawares. i mean, the fightin' blue hen was my mascot, LOL!!! gotta have a Delaware chicken, right!?!

thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom