Show off your Peas!

I read that green peacocks will start mimicking the call of an India Blue variety peacock if they hear it. Have you found this to be true? When I read that it was disappointing to me because I rather like the different noise that the greens make, and I don't want my young green peacock to change his noises.

I didn't realize that the call the green peacock makes when he rushes the hen is more of a sharp squeal noise. I heard it on a video recently and then I realized why my green makes a terrible shrieking noise when he displays for me. He is just trying to make the green version of the mating call but he just doesn't sound so pleasant yet haha.

I feel like the India blue split to white peahen I am raising with my green peacock took all of his "green". She is the spooky one and today I watched the green gently fly out of the shelter and then I watched the peahen rocket out of the shelter flying full speed and instead of landing she slammed into the fence, landed, and ran around. The green is so much calmer.

Ive seen low percentage spaulding roosters call like a blue but I have yet to have a high percentage green rooster do it but, have heard of it from others. For the most part, greens are much quieter when compared to the blue varieties and more aggressive for sure. That 3yr old spaulding rooster of mine will sneak one in on you if your not paying attention and boy does it hurt the old bones.

Gerald Barker

Ive seen low percentage spaulding roosters call like a blue but I have yet to have a high percentage green rooster do it but, have heard of it from others. For the most part, greens are much quieter when compared to the blue varieties and more aggressive for sure. That 3yr old spaulding rooster of mine will sneak one in on you if your not paying attention and boy does it hurt the old bones.

Gerald Barker

Thanks for the reply! That is reassuring.

Just though this could be helpful for some people to be able to sex White peafowl.
White peahen, 1 year almost 2 years old.

White peacock, 1 year almost 2 years old.

Indian Blue peahen, 5 years old

Indian Blue peacock, 5 years old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom