Show off your small or cheap made coop

My tractor was a combination of thrift and splurge. The roof was made of free vinyl siding I got off of craigslist, and I paid about $35 for the fencing and decorations. The dog house I already owned and I already had the hardware cloth in my garage. I also bought some of the lumber, the lawnmower wheels, and the screening. Overall I think I spent $100 for this project, but obviously someone else could spend more/less depending on their situation. I used a lot of free/reclaimed items for the meat and bones of the tractor and then spent some money to make it look cute. I would have to say though that making it look good was a priority for me since I live in a subdivision and I didn't want any neighbors to complain of an eyesore. But for someone that doesn't need something aesthetically pleasing, you can make this without decoration pretty cheap with reclaimed materials.

Not sure if I attached pictures right. My tractor is a rebuild from a friends old tractor. They bought one and were going to throw this away. I had to take it apart completely and build new base. I painted the d wood and changed to what we call rat wire. I also added a Third nesting box. Sides come off o. The right to have access to food. It is working great.

Last edited:
Hi. I moved into an old house last year and found an old coop at the back of the garden. I put a new floor in, a new roof on, fenced it in, netted over the top and then painted it all blue. My hens moved in yesterday. I'm new to keeping chickens but already learning by posts on BYC.

Last edited:

This is my cheap chook house. It was made from pallets and scrap wood with some roofing materials. The paint was leftover from other projects. Screws, nails, and staples were all on hand along with some donated hinges and about 5 feet of the hardware cloth. 4 cement blocks make up the foundation. 20 feet of hardware cloth and another set of hinges were purchased by family members with the promise of future eggs . I purchased another 10 feet of hardware cloth for $12.

Here's the DIY mess I came up with on the fly. This was my first time using power tools and lumber. Everything together was under $150 including paint, hardware, fence, and gate. Since taking this photo (it was their first time in there) I have added taller fencing (using PVC pipe to extend the posts and make a quasi roof for shade), several roosts, natural logs, additional feeder and waterer, and a shiny toy mirror they love to look at :) The coop is minimum size for 3 hens, 12 ft. Square plus nest box, but the run is huge for them, about 100 ft. Square. We have very mild winters but it rains a lot so I'm going to add a waterproof roof on the run soon - it is a 10x10' outdoor canopy that I salvaged. Our house and trees shield them well from high winds and blowing rain. They love dust bathing under the coop when it rains or is too hot. It's a perfect little sanctuary under there.

Hello Everyone! new here.....I recently was left this dog house from the previous owners, I decided to re purpose it into a small coop. We live in a city with a very small fenced (picket fence) in back yard. I only have 2 hens for now due to the limited space. So they will be let out in the afternoons when I'm home and then put back up at night. I did not find out about hardware wire until after the construction of this, so I took what I had in chicken wire and doubled it up, down the road I plan on replacing it with stronger wire however since our yard is fenced in, I don't think its too urgent. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Old Dog House

New and updated w/run

inside of elevated coop.

Last edited:
I have wanting to build one out of stuff I can find in my yard or get for free. I have some landscaping timbers and a small amount of wood laying around. I'm trying to find something to use for a roof now. Please post pics when your done. People on BYC are so ingenuitive.

I got stubborn and decided that I could make my own shiplap for the siding. $200 for wood. other than than that we repurposed my son's first attempt to build a fish house. Wait a sec.. I paid for that project too.

I think your shelter looks great.

This is the only thread I will post my coop. It is made with an old table turned upside down. Plywood from left over of neighbor's chicken mansion. The "metal" roof is the old air conditioner drip pan; and the door is the pallet came with the new air conditioner. The pots are used to hold down the removable metal roof. A patch here and there as you can see. It's not a coop, it is chicken shelter. Polina and Pavela are happy.
Anyone that can make something useful out of stuff that is other wise going unused has a creative side. Not only do you help yourself by recycling, but everyone else also. A chicken that has free range during the day and a safe place to spend the night has 90% of its needs taken care of. Glad you posted you picture.

Back
Top Bottom