show quality speckled sussex ??

Just got back from the Bluegrass State and brought back some Walt Reichert strain of Speckled Sussex. Can't wait to start hatching some chicks :)

Oh I love that Reichert speckling. No spangling there! Nice birds! Looks like you have a nice start for your flock! Congrats!
Best,
Karen

Karen, open up your SOP and see what it says about Spangling. You appear to be mixed up here.
APA SOP 2010
Page 24-25.
Figure 51 is a Spangled feather example Silver Spangled Hamburg, black on tip.
Figure 63 is a Feather TIPPED with Spangle example Speckled Sussex, white on tip.

Figure 60 is a feather tipped with Spangle as seen on an SS male's neck feathering or saddle feathering for example.

Ahhh--I think I get it--maybe. The girl on the left is spangled (extremely) and the right is speckled. And a speckle is a small spangle.
While I have your attention--would you say the one on the right has a split breast?

Ahhh--I think I get it--maybe. The girl on the left is spangled (extremely) and the right is speckled. And a speckle is a small spangle.
While I have your attention--would you say the one on the right has a split breast?

The speckled should not be used when talking about the coloring, we have the Mahogany color with the Black V-shaped Bar with a spangle that fits into the V-shape Bar that is black. I have no idea how the word speckling is being included

The speckled should not be used when talking about the coloring, we have the Mahogany color with the Black V-shaped Bar with a spangle that fits into the V-shape Bar that is black. I have no idea how the word speckling is being included

Now I get it!
Would you say the girl on the right has a split breast--or front--I'm not sure what term is used--or if it's even a condition? I've read about it but can't find anything in the SOP.
Is it bad that her feathers stick out there? I had an experience old breeder here today who said I should pull those feathers out!! I don't plan to pull anything out of my birds.

Karen, what is the difference between spangling and speckling? I looked it up but I'm still not quite sure.

Beautiful birds, Indy! Are they your first SS?
I raised bantam & standard Speckled Sussex in the 90's. All of them were Overton line. I took on a more demanding job and had kids playing sports in school and college so I sold all my birds. Now that all the kids are almost raised and more relaxing job I thought I'd start raising them again. Some of my birds did make it to Canada . There was a dentist from Canada that came to the APA Nationals in Columbus, Ohio one year. He bought a trio of standard Speckled Sussex from me . He had quite a few Light Sussex with him so he gave me three of them so his paperwork would match the total of birds that he came in with. I never heard back from him but always wondered what happened to them :) Still looking for the bantams though.

Back
Top Bottom