Shredder gene in chocolate Orp?

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
I picked up this chocolate Orp “pullet” from a feed store early in May. Its feathers resemble my lavender birds that have the shredder gene. I thought this was specific to lavender color. Anyone heard of it on other colors? I’m just asking out of curiosity- I’m not a breeder.

Attachments

• IMG_9430.jpeg
    IMG_9430.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_9429.jpeg
    IMG_9429.jpeg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9428.jpeg
    IMG_9428.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9415.jpeg
    IMG_9415.jpeg
    565.7 KB · Views: 21
I've never heard of the shredder gene occurring in the chocolate variety. I would be on the lookout for feather mites or lice, first thing. If those aren't present then I would go with what oldhenlikesdogs has said. Chickens of any color can have messy feathering like that and it probably has nothing to do with the shredder gene. I'm not sure if @ColtHandorf raises chocolates but he may know.

I don't know if the chocolate carry the shredder gene. In general Orpington have softer feathers that isn't as tight as a hard feathered breed, so they can sometimes look a bit frazzled.

Hopefully someone more familiar with Orpington genes can help out.
I did not realize that orpingtons' feathers were different from other breeds. That is interesting. I have a mixed flock- primarily hatchery-quality breeds with a few breeder birds and barnyyard mixes thrown in. This chick is my fourth orpington- but all different colors so tough to compare feathering. My first two orps were the lavender with the shredded feathers and a red w/ typical feathering (turned out to be a roo). I have a hen that is bred from the red & lavender- she is black w/ red markings and has feathering that I would consider to be typical- although she has more "floof" than all my other birds, haha.

I've never heard of the shredder gene occurring in the chocolate variety. I would be on the lookout for feather mites or lice, first thing. If those aren't present then I would go with what oldhenlikesdogs has said. Chickens of any color can have messy feathering like that and it probably has nothing to do with the shredder gene. I'm not sure if @ColtHandorf raises chocolates but he may know.
No sign of mites or lice. The chick is 2 months old, and I noticed the unusual feathering early on, 3 or 4 weeks. My first lavender (orpington) with the shredder gene I did not recognize it until she was several months old - I'd never heard of it so I may just not have noticed it. I also have a 4 month old lavender pullet (wyandotte) and her feathers didn't present as "shredded" until about 3 months. Now I'm curious what might happen to this chocolate orp's feathers as it grows in adult feathers.

I've not heard of the gene with Chocolates. They do have a softer feather, so perhaps that's it?

My black Australorp has feathers like this, but she’s only 6 weeks old so I’m thinking maybe she will molt them out. If she’s only 8 weeks old maybe it’s just messy juvenile feathering?

It's not the soft feathering. Softness really refers to the floof - all of the under feathers that have no barbs. The top feathers should be smooth.
My chocolates have nice feathers.

What is she eating? Poor feathering can result from inadequate protein. I always give my "feather breeds" high protein feed while they're growing (20-24%).
At least since she's a juvenile, a change in diet would reflect pretty quickly since they molt 5-6 times before maturity.

Otherwise, is it possible she may be a really dark mauve or dun?

It's not the soft feathering. Softness really refers to the floof - all of the under feathers that have no barbs. The top feathers should be smooth.
My chocolates have nice feathers.

What is she eating? Poor feathering can result from inadequate protein. I always give my "feather breeds" high protein feed while they're growing (20-24%).
At least since she's a juvenile, a change in diet would reflect pretty quickly since they molt 5-6 times before maturity.

Otherwise, is it possible she may be a really dark mauve or dun?
She is on flock raiser, as all my chicks after they’re a week or 2 old. I haven’t seen this pattern on any of my other chicks or adults with the exception of the 2 lavenders.

When you say feather breeds, do you mean the extra fluffy breeds? I’ve never fed them anything differently, in fact I think I’ve been cautioned against feeding too much protein to youngsters. Or maybe I’m mixing that up with calcium. I do always bump up protein snacks as they finish up their final baby molt and get close to laying time.

How would I know if she’s mauve or dun? In fact, I’ve never heard of the color dun in chickens before. I have seen images of mauve, but they’ve always been very light in color. Molé’s feathers definitely look dark brown in color, but I don’t have another chocolate bird to compare with. And since she’s hatchery, I always think anything could be possible. 😂

Back
Top Bottom