Sick 3 week old roo!!!

swkuntrygirl

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Lookout Mtn., GA
Hey, all. I have a very sick 3 week old lavender orpington roo.
He's been like this for 3 days now. Very weak and lethargic. Can't stand, nor stay awake. He was vaccinated at the hatchery, and has been on medicated feed since day one. Could be coccidiosis, but I just don't think so. My other 4 are doing just fine. But this little guy is in bad shape. I've been giving him sugar water, ACV, egg yolk and Hydra Drench with a syringe. His little crop is full, so I gave him some olive oil this morning and have been massaging on and off today to try and clear it out. He hasn't been eating these past 3 days so it shouldn't be full. I have given them mealworms a one day last week, but gave them chick grit as well.
I don't know what else to do. Every farm store around here is out of Corid.
Anyone have any suggestions???

He was vaccinated at the hatchery, and has been on medicated feed since day one. Could be coccidiosis, but I just don't think so.

His little crop is full, so I gave him some olive oil this morning and have been massaging on and off today to try and clear it out. He hasn't been eating these past 3 days so it shouldn't be full.
Vaccinated for what? Marek's? Coccidiosis?

Please post some photos of the chick and his poop.

The crop is full - how does it feel though - soft and pliable, fluid or air filled, hard?
If the crop is not emptying, then it would be good to start treating it. Instructions are in the link below. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I would continue and getting him hydrated. Maybe give some plain water too.
Coccidiosis could be a good possibility in a chick this age, so I would not rule that out.
It may be worth ordering the Corid to have on hand. Check with your TSC, sometimes you can order it and get within a couple of days.
In the meantime, if he's not had anything to eat - offer a little white cooked rice with buttermilk. This can soothe the gut a little if Coccidiosis is an issue, but it's not a cure.
I've been giving him sugar water, ACV, egg yolk and Hydra Drench with a syringe.

The crop is full - how does it feel though - soft and pliable, fluid or air filled, hard?
If the crop is not emptying, then it would be good to start treating it. Instructions are in the link below. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Coccidiosis could be a good possibility in a chick this age, so I would not rule that out.
It may be worth ordering the Corid to have on hand. Check with your TSC, sometimes you can order it and get within a couple of days.
In the meantime, if he's not had anything to eat - offer a little white cooked rice with buttermilk. This can soothe the gut a little if Coccidiosis is an issue, but it's not a cure.
Glad I looked....he was vaccinated for Marek's. Not coccid.
His crop is definitely hard. It's starting to feel a bit better now.
He has not pooped in a couple days.

Attachments

• 20210608_161820.jpg
    20210608_161820.jpg
    780.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210608_160719.jpg
    20210608_160719.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210608_160654.jpg
    20210608_160654.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 4
He has not pooped at all in a couple of days?
I would start syringing fluids into him, get a little coconut oil and give to him too. If the crop is hard, then gently massage to see if you can manipulate what's in there. Careful not to aspirate him.
Hopefully the coconut oil and fluids will help break up what's in the crop.
Keep us posted on how he's doing.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom