Jul 21, 2021
North Texas
Any thoughts on how I should proceed with my four-month-old Easter Egger? We're rather worried as she has been listless, separate from the other four hens, and uninterested in food. Today she mostly stayed seated on the coop floor by herself. She can walk, but very slowly, with her head hanging down.

More details, should it help:
  • Her vent looks fine and I didn't notice anything different with her eyes or legs.
  • I tried to give her some sugar water but she wouldn't take much.
  • I've heard about red mites but don't know exactly what they look like. That said, I didn't notice any red bumps under her wings or anything.
  • The waterer had algae in it so I cleaned it thoroughly today, in case that might be part of the trouble.
  • I think I saw her try to poop, but not much came out.
  • The chickens tend to sleep huddled together in the top part of an A-frame coop rather than roosting; I'm trying to get them to roost.
We ordered some Corid to try to give her tomorrow, but would appreciate any insights and things to look out for! Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20210721_192916.jpg
    20210721_192916.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210721_192854.jpg
    20210721_192854.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 6
How hot is it there? Is she drinking water and eating? Is her tail held down or up? Try to post a picture of droppings. Coccidiosis symptoms look like lethargy, hunched or puffed up posture, runny poops with mucus or blood, and not eating. Here is a good article on what to look for if a chicken has lice or mites:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

It sounds like a garden variety bacterial infection or quite possibly coccidiosis. I would put her on an oral antibiotic. Fish mox (amoxycillin) 250mg per day for ten days. You might also give the whole flock a round of Corid to be safe.

How hot is it there? Is she drinking water and eating? Is her tail held down or up? Try to post a picture of droppings. Coccidiosis symptoms look like lethargy, hunched or puffed up posture, runny poops with mucus or blood, and not eating. Here is a good article on what to look for if a chicken has lice or mites:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Quite hot -- a high of 90 to 100 degrees each day. I saw her eating this morning. Her tail is low, though it seemed a little perked up compared to yesterday. She still hangs her head low. Thanks for the article. I've attached a photo of her poo. (I must be new here; I never thought I would type those words...)

Attachments

• 20210722_083500.jpg
    20210722_083500.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 4
It sounds like a garden variety bacterial infection or quite possibly coccidiosis. I would put her on an oral antibiotic. Fish mox (amoxycillin) 250mg per day for ten days. You might also give the whole flock a round of Corid to be safe.
Thank you for your input. How do you recommend I administer Fish Mox? Does it go in the water like Corid?

Back
Top Bottom