Sick 8 wk old chick. Duramycin-10 vs Corid Medication

lchorne

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Chatham County, NC
Help is needed!

One of my 31 chicks has died. Two days ago I noticed that my Araucana/Americana chick looked cold, fluffed and stand offish from the others. The day was overcast so I brought her into the house. The next day the sun was out and I put her back with the others. When I cleaned out the cage in the house I noticed she had blood in her poop. I was recommended to treat all my 8 week old chicks with Duramycin-10,which I started yesterday. Of course the Araucana/Americana chick died last night. After reading about coccidiosis, I feel this is what she may have had. This morning I now have a buff orpington that is showing signs of illness. Wing down and fluffed. She is still pretty perky, more so than the other and I want to make sure I am treating them correctly with Duramycin. I read that Corid is a better medication for coccidiosis, so I have sent my husband to purchase it. If this is correct, does anyone know the dosage? Any recommendation will be appreciated to save my other chicks.

So signs are:
fluffy as though it is cold
wing down
bloody poop.

My chicks are 8 weeks old and I have a flock of 30 chicks now. They are housed in a new coop and yard with plenty of pine shavings to keep it dry.

Chickenlittle32 and Kathyinmo,

Thanks for your quick response. They all are now on Corid 9.5 -10 cc per gallon. Keep your fingers crossed they make it through this unexpected disease. I am still confused how they contracted coccidiosis when they are in a newly built coop, tight, dry with plenty of pine shavings. I clean it frequently and make sure no water has dampened their space.

I am saddened in the loss of my little Araucana/Americana chick but the Buff is hanging in there so far. Thanks again!

I am dealing with the same issue right now...lost about half the chicks I hatched...so frustrating...its partially my fault because none of the feed stores had Corid or Sulmet...finally had to order it online....Hope it works quickly for you!!

Quote:
i went to buy corid at tsc but all that i saw was a big pack that said corid 20%... is this what you are using ????if not what are you using??????

Back
Top Bottom