Sick baby chick

Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
I have a 3 day old chick that isn’t acting right.Yesterday he was just chirping a lot and wanting to be by the heat. Today he can’t walk and keeps falling over, one of his legs is up by his belly and a reddish color and swollen, very different from the other foot. Any idea what is wrong with him and what to do or is he too far gone? Thanks
9752E1F6-24BA-4355-9C7E-321E8BF1B47E.jpeg

I have a 3 day old chick that isn’t acting right.Yesterday he was just chirping a lot and wanting to be by the heat. Today he can’t walk and keeps falling over, one of his legs is up by his belly and a reddish color and swollen, very different from the other foot. Any idea what is wrong with him and what to do or is he too far gone? ThanksView attachment 3451347
Looks like he hasn't made connection with food and water yet. Failure to thrive is about to finalize itself. :hmm

If in the US I would suggest admisintering Poultry nutri drench direct to the beak just below the nostrils, using the bend in your forefinger to help direct the drop and neak together. The PND is patented for rapid absorption and does not require digestion to work.

The red leg is something I've never seen before.. Is there possibly something wrapped around it cutting off circulation a little? Possibly something internal.. I'm guesssing you haven't seen it poo yet?

Was this chick hatched at home from your own flock, or shipped, etc? Hatch on day 21?

My favorite technical hatching resource has possible causes of specific things seen starting around page 51 in the following link.. slightly before that it discusses chick quality and redness of hocks is mentioned (p. 49).. maybe this is a more extreem version of the redenned hock??

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Is there MORE heat coming from the red leg than the other one?

Hoping for a miracle for you both! :fl

Looks like he hasn't made connection with food and water yet. Failure to thrive is about to finalize itself. :hmm

If in the US I would suggest admisintering Poultry nutri drench direct to the beak just below the nostrils, using the bend in your forefinger to help direct the drop and neak together. The PND is patented for rapid absorption and does not require digestion to work.

The red leg is something I've never seen before.. Is there possibly something wrapped around it cutting off circulation a little? Possibly something internal.. I'm guesssing you haven't seen it poo yet?

Was this chick hatched at home from your own flock, or shipped, etc? Hatch on day 21?

My favorite technical hatching resource has possible causes of specific things seen starting around page 51 in the following link.. slightly before that it discusses chick quality and redness of hocks is mentioned (p. 49).. maybe this is a more extreem version of the redenned hock??

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Is there MORE heat coming from the red leg than the other one?

Hoping for a miracle for you both! :fl
I can’t tell if there’s something internal cutting off circulation. There’s nothing outside though. I have seen him poop 1 time.

there is a little more heat from the red leg

I have been giving it water with some molasses and save a chick electrolytes in it.

@EggSighted4Life is their anything I can do to fix his legs?
I've never seen it before like that.. and have to think that it's *perhaps* a developmental deformity/anamoly.

Is it able to stand up at all? Is it actively eating and drinking yet?

I have been giving it water with some molasses and save a chick electrolytes in it.
Poultry nutri drench is a superior product (due to the amino acids and patented rapid absorption that doesn;t require digestion) and *might* give you better results.

I wonder if @Wyorp Rock or @azygous have better or other suggestions than I do.

I've never seen it before like that.. and have to think that it's *perhaps* a developmental deformity/anamoly.

Is it able to stand up at all? Is it actively eating and drinking yet?

Poultry nutri drench is a superior product (due to the amino acids and patented rapid absorption that doesn;t require digestion) and *might* give you better results.

I wonder if @Wyorp Rock or @azygous have better or other suggestions than I do.
Someone thinks it might have a slipped tendon. He was fine at first but about a day later his leg started swelling and twisting out.

When using his wings he can move around a little. He is eating and drinking but I feed him separately because he gets trampled by the other chicks
12566C5C-1B55-49F3-8695-1E8F61DC7D84.jpeg
E40FA7CD-64A8-4851-8967-2F96FC5AB9E8.jpeg

Someone thinks it might have a slipped tendon. He was fine at first but about a day later his leg started swelling and twisting out.
That link azygous gave looks pretty good IF it is a slipped tendon. Thank you for that! :highfive:

That new pic almost looks like it could be a valgus/varus deformity.. seen in first desription of following link..

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers

I'm very unfamilar with the condition but maybe @Eggcessive knows if this looks/sounds like that or not.

Cute little group of innocent babes! :love

The swelling is concerning. I'd say it looks like rotated (twisted) tibia which is a leg deformity, but I don't recall anyone mentioning swelling and the leg looking like it's losing circulation.

Can you look at the leg really well to see if there's a hair or thread wrapped around the leg that's cutting off circulation?
Any chance the chick may have been dropped or it flew up on something and then fell injuring the leg or even got the leg hung up in something and it getting twisted? Chicks can get themselves into a pickle at times.

The circulation is the biggest issue, you can try splinting, but with swelling/inflammation then it's going to be hard to get a good wrap on the leg since you don't know if it's going to swell even more.

Do what you can to keep her comfy, eating/drinking. Chirping a lot and wanting to be under the heat means this baby is not doing too well and may not make it even with all the love and care you can give.

Back
Top Bottom