Sick Baby Serama-What should I do?

birdbrainchick7

Hatching
Mar 13, 2015
I have a baby Serama chick that is only 4 days old. At the beginning of today, I noticed her standing apart from the others and falling asleep standing up until her head rested on the bottom of the tote. Around midday I noticed bloody, watery stool. At this time she started to sleep with her wings ruffled away from her body, not trying to sleep with the other 6 chicks. I looked online and found out that coccidiosis can cause these symptoms, but I wasn't completely sure because she eats normally and drinks regularly. She's not as active as the other chicks, either. Just now, she pooped and it was the right color and pretty solid but with a lot of water. Should I go ahead and worm her and the rest of the chicks as well since I don't believe I bought medicated feed? I'm worried about her, she was the only brown one out of the bunch and I'm already partial to her!!!

This is what her poop looks like now. I don't have any of the bloody stool, I cleaned the bedding out before I started taking pics. Also, here's my little chick:

Is she with older chicks where she could be exposed to coccidiosis? Blood in the stools this age is unusual unless exposed to cocci. It is more common around 2-3 weeks or if on the ground. I would give her electrolyte/vitamin water such as SaveAChick and dip her beak as often as you can while giving her time to swallow tonight. If she has cocci from other older chicks, then I would start Corid (amprollium) in the water for 5 days.

Eggcessive, the person we bought her from had her penned with 1 month old Serama roosters, but now it's just the seven total together that are the same age. I forgot to mention that I have had her on Save A Chick electrolytes for about half the day. In the past half hour she has perked up immensely, and is VERY vocal when I leave her alone. She is also walking around and hopping and getting more active. Still has a little blood in her poop, which makes me worried. But much improved in the past twenty minutes or so. I can get some Corid tomorrow and start her on it. Should I be doing anything else? Sugar in her water for energy, or yogurt for some healthy bacteria in the meantime?

If you have any buttermilk, a small amount on some bread crumbs or her feed may coat her intestines until you can get the Corid. They can stop eating and drinking after getting coccidia. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. I would definitely treat her and her siblings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom