May 29, 2019
Our 5 1/2 month old BO Pullet has very gradually started to act ill. It was tough to notice at first.

First we noticed her growing lack of interest in food. While the other girls were always bottom-up eating at whatever food was around, she'd be off by herself--not lethargic, still boisterous, but uninterested in eating. She's always been a bit of a maverick.

That said, she's been much slower to develop than her sisters of other breeds. We thought that was normal, since BOs are known to mature slowly. Her comb and wattles are rosy but no where near the red of her sisters. She hasn't squatted yet. But she's big and boisterous--a real diva.

All of her sisters have already started laying over the last couple months. Since then, she's moved to the bottom of the pecking order. We also noticed her appetite dwindling around this time. We thought bullying may have caused her to have anxiety around food.

Yet, I was able to get her to eat mash if she was alone the last few days, but her appetite there has since dropped off, too. She still is super spunky, quick, and a flier (on me, on the roost, whatever). And drinks plenty. And eats treats plenty.

Today after a particular disinterest in food I noticed her have a couple back-to-back diarrheas. It was pure brownish/greenish/yellowish liquid--no solids at all. I thought it could be because of the lack of food and abundance of water, but I don't know.

She's now in isolation. I've heard her do the egg call down there so I dunno if she's getting close to laying or not. She's eating so far as treats are mixed in (and I've spiked her food with probiotics). I have Corid, dewormer, and a broad spectrum antibiotic on hand, but I don't want to mistreat and make it worse. Any thoughts?

Here is her poop:
IMG_20191013_092514.jpg

Lots of videos out there, hard to explain with text. Lots of my girls go through a "slowness" a few weeks before finally laying. Some get so down in the slumps, they end up dieing. Its a crazy process their bodies go thru. Some handle it better than others.. Have you tried extra calcium too.. Like a Tums or boiled eggs

I have a calcium supplement from a vet I started giving her. I will check her for an egg later today (gotta get latex gloves). I do hope it's that she is starting to lay and will get through it.

Do you think cocci is a possibility? I know that can cause death quickly so I'm wondering if I should put her on Corid. No blood in her poop, just watery (as pictured).

I would start with the corid, and treat the whole flock. Or you could just treat her, your choice.
IMHO green poop and depression are flags, and it's a quick turnaround if that's the problem.
I have her isolated and on Corid. I will bring her poop in for testing on Monday. The others are doing extremely well, healthy poops, tons of eggs and energy. But if the vet advises Corid en masse, we'll nip it in the bud.

I got her to eat bread and grapes, she just doesn't want feed. Since eating she's had less watery but foul and green diarrheas. She is still bright-eyed and energetic so I hope she'll push through this, whether it's cocci or not.

Since hou have the Corid, I would go ahead and start it at the maximum dosage. Add 2 tsp (10ml) of the liquid (or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder) to a gallon of water, and give for 5-7 days. But if possible, I would have her see a vet to test some fresh droppings for coccidiosis, worms, and perhaps a gram stain for bacteria. Do you see anything in her droppings that resembles egg material? I would try to feed her separately, or give her some cooked egg, wet chicken feed, or tuna.

Sounds like she gets a lot of treats, and she may have just lost her appetite for good food. Like a kid that snacks all day then turns his nose up at green beans and carrots, lol. You might try making a mash of her regular feed, maybe add a little plain yogurt, and see if she will eat that. This, along with the other good advice you are getting. Good luck with her!

Back
Top Bottom