Sick chicken and trying to figure out how to help her!

limeollie

Hatching
Mar 31, 2023
So I have an Easter Egger who is about 1.5 years old! She is my little baby but recently she hasn't been feeling well! So at some parts of the day she acts like her usual self (running and jumping around, eating and drinking regularly, standing up tall, etc.) but it seems like just in an instant her head will be down low, her wings droop down to the floor, she just stands still, barely eats or drinks (even her favorite snacks like broccoli and grapes). These behaviors have been going on for around a week now. For about 2.5 weeks she hasn't laid any eggs up until yesterday and today, and her first egg was very pale in color and was slight deformed at the top (leaning towards the side) and today she laid another egg which was brighter in color but much more deformed at the top and middle. And this afternoon when we had her and her sisters out free ranging, she was acting like her usual self again but then quickly shut down. Worried, I brought her to an isolated spot with food and water (which has nutrition supplements in it). She pecked at the food just a few times before laying down. Then about an hour and a half later I checked back in on her and saw this egg (the egg in the picture below)! I tried googling it but can't really find anything on about what might be wrong with her and I am very nervous because I don't want her condition to worsen! Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated, and any questions please feel free to ask!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 33
Have all the odd eggs been soft shelled or thin shelled? If that's the case then a calcium citrate +D (Citracal or generic equivalent) once a day may help. If that helps then give until she lays a normal egg. The other possibility is that she had one egg delayed in passage and others were behind it, delayed by the first one. Sometimes oddly shaped ends are due to one egg coming in contact with another in the oviduct when that happens. It could just be a glitch (has she molted?) Sometimes when they are going into molt or coming out of molt, they can have glitches. The one in the picture is a malformed shell, if that persists then it could be a shell gland malfunction. It also could have happened as part of the same line of delayed eggs, making it all a snafu. Since the egg contents was released, if it was released while still inside the oviduct, then infection is a risk, that is prime breeding ground for bacteria, so I would definitely keep an eye on her. The calcium will help with contractions and will help her expel anything else, and help firm up the shells if soft shells is the cause.

Back
Top Bottom