Sick chicken, balance issues, eyes closed

Horsetime

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2019
I got a new chicken from a reputable breeder. He was having trouble standing when I got him home so I thought he'd been injured in the car ride. He's gotten progressively worse and will tip over when grooming himself, or sit with his legs sprawled in front of him. I put him on antibiotics and nutridrench a few days ago since one of the chickens he came with had a sneeze and aspirin today in case he was in pain from a leg injury. He didn't look like he was drinking his water so I dosed him directly with nutridrench and he started to move around a bit and groom himself a lot. We noticed mites during our exam tonight so I dusted him for that.

Does anyone have any ideas? I think I've thrown the kitchen sink at treating him.

Are you certain they are mites and not lice? Permethrin garden dust or permethrin spray, available at most feed stores to treat the chicken, can be applied at 7 day intervals to kill the lice or mites. I would return the chicken to the breeder, no questions asked if possible. No one should have sold you this sick chicken especially with mites on him. It sounds like he could be possibly showing signs of Mareks disease, but dehydration or something else could be possible. Sneezing along with watery eye or swelling of an eye can be a sign of a respiratory disease. If he is sick he could pass a disease on to your other chickens, so keep him quarantined until you decide what to do. Sorry.

Sorry about how things have turned out. Mites can really sap their energy and make them anemic. Do you know if the breeder vaccinates their chicks for Mareks?

I got a new chicken from a reputable breeder. He was having trouble standing when I got him home so I thought he'd been injured in the car ride. He's gotten progressively worse and will tip over when grooming himself, or sit with his legs sprawled in front of him. I put him on antibiotics and nutridrench a few days ago since one of the chickens he came with had a sneeze and aspirin today in case he was in pain from a leg injury. He didn't look like he was drinking his water so I dosed him directly with nutridrench and he started to move around a bit and groom himself a lot. We noticed mites during our exam tonight so I dusted him for that.

Does anyone have any ideas? I think I've thrown the kitchen sink at treating him.
Its really cautious for chicks to travel.. and they are really fragile... I'm not surprised on what happened... poor thing.

Back
Top Bottom