Sick chicken, cheesy poop, prolapse when pooping

Anyone have any experience with using Oregano Oil to treat infections in birds? Someone suggested it to me.

:hugs:hugs:hugs
I'm sorry.
Sounds like you have a sweet and loving daughter.
I'm glad the vet was able to drain her and give you antibiotics. The draining can give some relief, hopefully she will do well and you won't have to repeat the draining for a while. Sometimes even with treatment, infection still overtakes them, but at least you are giving her a chance.

@coach723 and @Hen Pen Jem both know much more than I do about alternative treatments and herbal remedies. Hopefully both will weigh in with some tips.

Greetings Jciarmom,

I have experience in treating hens with, both cancer/tumor or egg peritonitis.

There is hope for a remission in both conditions. But, be aware that in hens, because of their cyclical hormones, they will likely go through this again and again.

A note of caution:
Your hen's condition is a bit more complicated because of the prolapse. Also, the gurgling and coughing, are signs of respiratory collapse, maybe due to a large tumor pressing.
Worst case scenario:
She may die within the next 24 hours. If she starts to sleep, with her body going flat, wings relaxed, these are signs the body is shutting down. Have a large towel ready, in case she starts to flail. You can quickly wrap her, and hold her during the death spasms. Fluid will drain from her mouth.

Other considerations:
Eventually, a day will come, when they can no longer heal.
You may come to a point when you may need to euthanize the hen, here are some reasons to euthanize, otherwise the hen can just live out her days in your care.

For instance if the hen has any of the following symptoms:

• labored breathing to the point where they are gasping
  • can no longer walk
  • they injure themselves (rupture of the belly, broken leg, rupture an egg internally, etc.)
But, if you are willing to do the work at it, I have a treatment plan that has been very successful.

First forget the oregano oil, it is not substantial enough to protect the hen from infection during their healing process. But is excellent for crop issues.

Here is my treatment plan:
Caring for the hen with ascites can be as much or little as your time and resources allow.

Handling the bird to medicate or feed manually - use a towel to wrap the bird, then support the feet with one hand, set the bird on your lap, with their feet between your thighs. The hen's chest and rear will rest on your thighs. Keep the hen calm be talking softly and stroking the ears or cheeks.
Handling the bird for bathing/soaking - place the bird's chest on your forearm and slide your hand under the belly for support, hold the hen close to you, as it will try to flap its wings. Or, you can tie a long scarf around the hen to hold the wings. Always support the hen's chest with your hand while bathing.

Treatments:
Epsom salt soaks, 10-15 minutes, 1 to 3 times a week will comfort and help to detox the hen. You are already doing this, great.
"The Rub - Arnica Cream" is best, but you can use other brands of Arnica cream. Apply each evening, on the belly, around vent and any bald spots, helps reduce pain, swelling and soothes.
40 mg. Aspirin, every 12 hours, to reduce ascite swelling, reduce pain or discomfort. (Use low dose 80 mg. tablets, then split with a pill splitter. Food and water should follow to buffer the intestines.) (stop if the hen has a bleeding cut) Course is 10 days.

Antibiotic, a broad-spectrum antibiotic each day should be administered. Because the hen's immune system is weak, evident by the presence of ascites, in the case of a tumor, an antibiotic will protect her from secondary infection, and in the case of EYP, it will take care of any infection that is already brewing. The course is 10 days.

Environment:

The hen may always be a little swollen with ascites, even after recovery. But, quality of life can be increased by providing accommodations.

We placed little ramps and tree stumps around the yard to make it easier for the hen to follow the flock. Exercise is important for these hens.

The hen will not be able to fly up on to the perch, so if you want her to perch with the flock, you'll have to help her up. A safety net under the perch will be needed to prevent falling off. Then, you'll have to help the hen down each morning.

Rupture of the belly is possible and is lethal. This usually happens when the hen jumps up or down from high places.

It's safer for the hen to sleep on the floor of the coop, with cover overhead so she doesn't get pooped on. A small covered dog crate is good for this. Or, lower the perches to no more than 15 inches above the floor.

Diet:

If the hen goes off feed, and has no appetite for any solid foods, you'll have to feed her with a syringe. She'll need 40-50 mL, a day, of a liquid meal replacement. I prefer to feed a Hemp Protein liquid meal, as Hemp Protein has healing qualities, as well as providing nourishment. I also incorporate Manuka Honey to boost the healing properties of the hemp meal replacement. I will send you my formula if you would like it. Kaytee baby bird meal replacement is a meal replacement you can buy at a pet shop. You can also make your own by pulverizing chicken feed in a spice/coffee mill, then sifting in a large screen strainer, then a small screen strainer. Mix with purified water, don't use well water or tap, the chickens vital organs are already stressed.

But if the hen is still eating on her own, I offer the following:
Besides feed (when ill a mash is better, dry and wet), cooked grains (brown rice, barley, oat groats), hash browns cooked in coconut oil, cooked finely diced meats, cooked frozen mixed vegetables (green beans, cut up), diced juicy fresh fruit. Offer things that will supply nutrition and that the chicken will eat. Always have fresh water available. You should administer a dose of electrolyte solution, full stength, one a day, for the first two days, if the hen is weak. Also some vitamins if the hen has not eaten much.

Prognosis:
There are different reasons why a hen's body will develop ascites. It is the body's way of ridding toxins. Why there are toxins, is usually not known, until the hen has died and a necropsy is done.

A hen can live on another year or more, or quickly die in spite of all your efforts. Cancers can go into remission. Egg Yolk Peritonitis has a small chance of healing if antibiotics are given, early. Internal laying can also have remission as the body absorbs the egg. But ultimately, a hen with reproductive issues will succumb to the condition without a radical intervention, like implants or even spaying.

I hope and pray all goes well for your hen.

If nothing else, this will be a good lesson in compassionate care, healing treatments, and the life cycles of nature.

God Bless :)

Yes, that is typical poop for a hen with a reproductive problem.

It will return to normal with consistent and correct care. My hens that have had ascite related illness, usually recover in about 7 to 14 days. The time for recovery depends on the severity of symptoms, the general health of the hen before illness, and the weight. Age does not seem to be a factor.

But, it is time consuming to heal them. They'll require nursing care and rehabilitation, before returning to the flock. :)

Just saw this, so first, great informative post by @Hen Pen Jem!
I agree with the assessment on the oregano, I've used both leaf and oil, but it has never been helpful with a bird with this degree of illness. I wish you the best, but know that not every bird with this degree of illness can be saved, you can only try. I always do the best I can for them, some rally, sadly many do not. :hugs

Greetings Jciarmom,

One last thought for today...do check the hen's crop in the morning. It should be empty. If it feels soft and doughy, it may account for the gurgling she had.

It is common for a sick chicken's crop to empty very slowly, thus, causing a souring of the contents. This can also make the hen feed sickly. The contents can be regurgitated, or watery vomit can pour out of the crop, causing coughing. A foul smell is not always an indicator of sour crop, but if your hen does have a foul smelling mouth, she may have a souring crop.

You may want to administer an anti-fungal every 12 hours, till you are sure her crop is emptying.

God Bless :)

Wow, Hen Pen Jem, thank you so much for all the great info! I will do as much of that as I can, for sure. I had thought about aspirin as I had read a bit about it, but didn't think it would help. Luna has done really well with the baths, thankfully, and I think I've come up with a good method for giving the antibiotics. Again, I appreciate all the information and wisdom from all of you. Thank you! (I wrote this last night,forgot to post)

Last edited:
Last night she wouldn't let me give her the antibiotics, and I didn't have an assistant at the time. Ill try again this morning. She hasn't made the coughing type of sound when drinking since before she was drained, so I'm glad about that. I'll be sure to check the crop. She did eat dried mealworms and cup up grapes (she really likes both of those), but that was it, so not a lot of food.

Luna passed just a little while ago. Thank you all, I really appreciate all the advice and support. Hopefully this information can help someone else in the future <3 RIP, Luna

I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs
If you are up to it, and curious you can do an informal necropsy and post pictures here, and maybe get some better answers on what may have been ailing her.
I can give you links, or you can search for instructions. It's not difficult really, except maybe emotionally. If you don't think you can, I understand. You can also send birds to a lab, which is sometimes a good idea, especially when a virus is suspected.
Again, I'm really sorry.

Back
Top Bottom