Sick chicken, cheesy poop, prolapse when pooping

The stuff in the poop does look eggy to me also. So, I haven't been feeding her much because she was straining when pooping and I was hoping she'd be able to empty out. So I'm not sure about emptying the crop. She has had Styrofoam in her crop for a very long time, fyi. Her abdomen does feel very full. She is smaller than one of her sisters, and the other two were about the same size as her before she became sick, but now she feels really skinny. I feed them Nutrena Nature Wise Hearty Hen 18 %. They get some table scraps, but not much lately because they've been able to forage more often. Also get seed/scratch when they go back to their pen as a reward, but not a lot. I have to go out now, I'll try to answer more questions when I get back. Thanks for the responses!

Anyone have any experience with using Oregano Oil to treat infections in birds? Someone suggested it to me.

:hugs:hugs:hugs
I'm sorry.
Sounds like you have a sweet and loving daughter.
I'm glad the vet was able to drain her and give you antibiotics. The draining can give some relief, hopefully she will do well and you won't have to repeat the draining for a while. Sometimes even with treatment, infection still overtakes them, but at least you are giving her a chance.

@coach723 and @Hen Pen Jem both know much more than I do about alternative treatments and herbal remedies. Hopefully both will weigh in with some tips.

Last night she wouldn't let me give her the antibiotics, and I didn't have an assistant at the time. Ill try again this morning. She hasn't made the coughing type of sound when drinking since before she was drained, so I'm glad about that. I'll be sure to check the crop. She did eat dried mealworms and cup up grapes (she really likes both of those), but that was it, so not a lot of food.

Luna passed just a little while ago. Thank you all, I really appreciate all the advice and support. Hopefully this information can help someone else in the future <3 RIP, Luna

Back
Top Bottom