Sick chicken, cheesy poop, prolapse when pooping

Wow, Hen Pen Jem, thank you so much for all the great info! I will do as much of that as I can, for sure. I had thought about aspirin as I had read a bit about it, but didn't think it would help. Luna has done really well with the baths, thankfully, and I think I've come up with a good method for giving the antibiotics. Again, I appreciate all the information and wisdom from all of you. Thank you! (I wrote this last night,forgot to post)

Last edited:
Thank you, coach723. We have already buried her in the yard - it was best for our kids. Since I suspected that she didn't lay eggs, I'm going to assume it was a reproductive issue, rather than a virus. The other three seem to be in excellent health and spirits. I will keep a close eye on them, though, just to be safe.

I too suspect that it was probably reproductive based on the symptoms and there is likely no risk to the rest of your flock. Again, very sorry for your loss, and completely understand about the kids. Mine when they were small would not have remotely understood doing that to a pet.

hen saint.gif

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :hugs

Do you have vet care?

Here's how to post PHOTOS

Are you able to keep the prolapse moist with an ointment - you can use an anti-inflammatory cream, hemorrhoid ointment or honey. Any exposed tissue need to be moist or it will dry up and die.
Can you feel is an egg is stuck inside the prolapse?

Thank you Wyorp Rock for responding. The couple of times I gently pushed IL the prolapse back in it was squishy, nothing hard inside that I felt. Would I need to insert my finger inside to check for eggshells? The prolapsed tissue always goes back in after she's done pushing, so I don't think I need to worry about it drying out. She's breathing a bit harder today. She ate a few peeled, cut up grapes today, but rejected the scrambled egg (she ate some of that yesterday). When she drinks, she makes a kind of coughing, chirping sound (started today) I don't have a vet, but I'm going to call around tomorrow. The husband doesn't want to spend a lot of money on this, though :( I'm wondering if the cheesy looking stuff is vent gleet, but I don't know what's causing the straining. BTW, this all started Friday, at least that's when I noticed a problem.

Back
Top Bottom