emmagat

Songster
7 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Hi everyone! This is one of my first posts, but here goes. So, I just got 2 youngish Lavender Cuckoo Orpingtons from a show up here in Massachusetts. I think they're both hens, but it's hard to tell. Anyway, I brought them home thinking they were completely healthy, since they were coming from a show. How naive of me. I put them in the coop with my other chickens, and when I went out to check on them, one of them looked dead while she was huddling in a corner (she wasn't actually dead, she just looked it), and the other was huddling in a different place. But I'm kicking myself now, because my other chickens have been exposed to these guys, and I should have separated them to begin with. So I brought them inside, and I put them in a box with shavings, food, and water. They immediately started eating the corn and grain I gave them, so they must have been hungry, which makes me think that the person who sold them to me didn't feed them that day. Also when I picked them up, I noticed that both of them were really light, and they didn't have any weight on them like they should. One of them is kind of droopy looking, and sometimes moves her wings up as if she is uncomfortable. However, they are both preening themselves, and they are making little noises, so I'm not sure if they are just weak, or if something is wrong. If anyone can give me any answers on what to do or how to make them feel better, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!!

They may have been attacked by your other chickens since they are new, and that's why they were cowering in a corner. It's always a good idea to quarantine to lessen the risk if bringing something in, so I'd still do that at this point. Once you are ready to integrate them I would do it in a 'see but don't touch' manner using a wire crate or a temporary fence so they can get accustomed to each other without being able to hurt each other. Once they are acquainted that way you put them together under supervision to make sure nothing beyond the normal pecking order stuff happens. The stress of moving to a new place can bring out hidden illness, so that's why quarantining for a period can be helpful, hopefully there is nothing there and they are just stressed, but if there is it will hopefully show up during quarantine.

They may have been attacked by your other chickens since they are new, and that's why they were cowering in a corner. It's always a good idea to quarantine to lessen the risk if bringing something in, so I'd still do that at this point. Once you are ready to integrate them I would do it in a 'see but don't touch' manner using a wire crate or a temporary fence so they can get accustomed to each other without being able to hurt each other. Once they are acquainted that way you put them together under supervision to make sure nothing beyond the normal pecking order stuff happens. The stress of moving to a new place can bring out hidden illness, so that's why quarantining for a period can be helpful, hopefully there is nothing there and they are just stressed, but if there is it will hopefully show up during quarantine.
Thank you so much! If any illness does come up during quarantine, what should I do? I just feel awful and angry about this whole thing.

Depends on what it is, if something shows up. Do you have any idea how old they are? Having Corid on hand is a good idea as coccidiosis is always possible when birds move to new ground, especially if they are young. If a respiratory disease were to show up you would need to decide whether to treat and keep, since some respiratory illnesses are chronic and the birds are carriers. If your vet will do a fecal float test for you then you can have them checked for internal parasites and treat for that if necessary. I would examine them carefully for any signs of lice/mites so you can deal with that if necessary also. You will just need to watch them and see what happens. Hopefully they are healthy and all will be well, but better to make as sure as you can and not risk the whole flock. Nothing is 100% fool proof, you just do the best you can to prevent as much as you can.

Depends on what it is, if something shows up. Do you have any idea how old they are? Having Corid on hand is a good idea as coccidiosis is always possible when birds move to new ground, especially if they are young. If a respiratory disease were to show up you would need to decide whether to treat and keep, since some respiratory illnesses are chronic and the birds are carriers. If your vet will do a fecal float test for you then you can have them checked for internal parasites and treat for that if necessary. I would examine them carefully for any signs of lice/mites so you can deal with that if necessary also. You will just need to watch them and see what happens. Hopefully they are healthy and all will be well, but better to make as sure as you can and not risk the whole flock. Nothing is 100% fool proof, you just do the best you can to prevent as much as you can.
I think they're roughly 3 months old. They aren't acting lethargic anymore, but they are kind of wobbly and unbalanced. And I'll pick up some Corid today just to have it around just in case. Thank you so much for your advice, it makes me feel a little better about this situation. :)

Back
Top Bottom