Sick Choog; white diarrhoea, lethargic and pale skin

I can't be of much help I'm afraid. I would just be guessing and I don't have much experience in dealing with lash eggs. What experiences I have had did not end well.
Vet care is always my prefered choice if possible.

Lash egg material can be passed out of the vent, or laid internally inside the abdomen. Many times when you do a necrospy on a hen over two years or older, you may find evidence of lash egg material in large clumps. This is a result of salpingitis or infection of the oviduct. It is common and can be caused by several bacteria, such as E.coli, mycoplasma, and others that come from the bloodstream or travel up the reproductive tract from the vent. By the time lash eggs are seen, antibiotics may or may not help. Reproductive disorders are the most common eventual cause of death in chickens. Here are a couple of articles about salpingits:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/salpingitis

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

So yesterday I noticed one of the hens had quite pale skin and she was sitting down. After further inspection she was very fatigued and slow with her movement though her behaviour was the same, she still ate and recognized me like normal, but also her droppings were white/clear and consistent like paint. After a day of separation from the flock, not much has changed but she may have become more lethargic. Also black specks are developing on her pale comb. She has been fed a mix of yoghurt, grain and apple cider vinegar in case there is trouble in her oviduct like a broken egg or egg bound. My dad won't take her to the vet and he will be reluctant on medications so DIY solutions would be helpful.

Any ideas on what it could be?
.....to get back to @leveric the OP's problem.
Cut out all this>" yoghurt, grain and apple cider vinegar ".
Isolate bird and give nothing but a good chicken ration and plain water.

When I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Last edited:
I would agree that making the chicken feed the primary diet. She needs nutrition and protein. Many chicken feeds contain probiotics. Scrambled egg bits can be added—most of my chickens who would not eat would usually eat scrambled egg.

So yesterday I noticed one of the hens had quite pale skin and she was sitting down. After further inspection she was very fatigued and slow with her movement though her behaviour was the same, she still ate and recognized me like normal, but also her droppings were white/clear and consistent like paint. After a day of separation from the flock, not much has changed but she may have become more lethargic. Also black specks are developing on her pale comb. She has been fed a mix of yoghurt, grain and apple cider vinegar in case there is trouble in her oviduct like a broken egg or egg bound. My dad won't take her to the vet and he will be reluctant on medications so DIY solutions would be helpful.

Any ideas on what it could be?
@leveric can you please post some photos of your hen and of her poop?
Where are you located in the world?
Has your hen been laying eggs?
Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs - is there any bloat, swelling or feeling of fluid?
Is her crop empty in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink?
If you can provide more information we may be able to give you some suggestions.

Here's @Oolala threads in case someone needs to find those.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-this-a-lash-egg.1426878/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dont-know-whats-wrong.1426712/
I have been having problems with one of my girls lately who has egg production problems, she laid what looked like a lash egg but when I broke it open it was a gritty egg membrane but I am still trying to work out what is wrong with her, she had all the syptoms of your chicken but her comb has remained red. I gave her olive oil and also broken up bits of coconut oil mixed with crushed garlic. Whether all this helped to help her pass it I dont know. I hope you can find a solution but I am sure there are far more people on here with better advice, I am just going on what has happened with me.
Just found this this morning which seriously looks like lash egg😢It will be a miracle if she survives this, she is still lethargic ad eating a little, still giving the garlic and solidified coconut oil though
Blodwyn was a little better yesterday, roaming around the garden with the other two eating grass and bugs but still not her usual boisterous self, I have also added antibiotic powder to her water in case there is any infection. If I took her to my vet he would just shrug his shoulders ( thats what the french always do if they dont know the answer) and give an injection of antibiotic then charge me a fortune with no guaranteed outcome😟 So I have nothing to lose doing it my way. How is your girl doing today? Its so great to have this forum to chat with like minded people 😀

Oolala, you shouldn’t give antibiotics just because you’re chicken is sick. It can only help if there is an infection and if you know what Antibiotics helps for this infection and how much and how long you should give this.
Often chickens eventually get more sick because the antibiotics can damage the immune system. Another thing is that you can develop resistent bacteria. This really is a bad thing to do.

@leveric, I’m so sorry I cant help. There are people here though that have more experience with healing chickens. @aart @R2elk ???
Thank you for your reply, I have stopped the antibiotic powder in the water now, I did it because everytime I take any animal to the vet its the first thing they do here. I dint think Blidwyn is iut if the woods yet, she is sort of acting normal but I know she is not so dont know what to do next, I know that once they start laying lash eggs the outcome is not good, from experience, so I suppose I will leave it to nature and try to do the best I can for her with good quality feed and some treats 🤞😞

Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs - is there any bloat, swelling or feeling of fluid?
If you can provide more information we may be able to give you some suggestions.

To answer some of your questions, I live in Brisbane Australia, I've separated her from the flock and she hasn't laid any eggs in her area since. For the times I've checked her crop it has been empty, but she hasn't had much of an appetite for a few days now. I'm now giving her normal chicken feed and water and my dad will try give her some scrambled eggs today. I will post some pictures soon enough and check for swelling between her vent soon but I've been busy and I'm in school right now, I will keep you updated.

Okay so I have some pictures of her droppings but its all dry, I couldn't find any fresh droppings nor do I have the time.

However, I did check between her legs and I found that her vent is quite firm and full, it feels like something rather hard is in there. Also I just checked at the end of the day and her crop is very small, not much in there.

Attachments

• WIN_20201111_15_07_51_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20201111_15_07_51_Pro.jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 4
  • WIN_20201111_15_07_59_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20201111_15_07_59_Pro.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 4
Okay so I have some pictures of her droppings but its all dry, I couldn't find any fresh droppings nor do I have the time.

However, I did check between her legs and I found that her vent is quite firm and full, it feels like something rather hard is in there. Also I just checked at the end of the day and her crop is very small, not much in there.
She may be having some reproductive problems, hard to know.
If you don't have much time, then all you can do is try to make sure she's got access to fresh water and food.
If she declines further, then do your hen a kindness and ask your Dad to put her out of her misery.

She may be having some reproductive problems, hard to know.
If you don't have much time, then all you can do is try to make sure she's got access to fresh water and food.
If she declines further, then do your hen a kindness and ask your Dad to put her out of her misery.

Okay will do.

Back
Top Bottom