Sick Duckling

DuckyFeet

Hatching
Mar 18, 2018
Hello, I'm new to this website.

Currently I have a duckling that I've had for about a week. My grandma found it about an hour ago laying on its back, not moving. It's still alive, and we're keeping it warm, but its side effects are common with the botulism disease. It peeps occasionally, its neck is limp and it can hardly raise it, it can barely move, it can drink water but cannot eat. I'm worried to give it more water, seeing as its craw is full of it. Can anyone tell me what this is and how to treat it? I've looked everywhere, and I'm worried, seeing as how this is the fifth duckling I've had that's been infected by whatever this is. This one seems to be improving, though.

I'm sorry you're having these troubles. Can you describe how you are brooding them and what kinds of food you are feeding it?

If it really is botulism, you might want to start a charcoal flush.

I'm sorry you're having these troubles. Can you describe how you are brooding them and what kinds of food you are feeding it?

If it really is botulism, you might want to start a charcoal flush.

Well, we bought him at Tractor Supply Co., and the food we're feedong him is Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter. We keep him in the house in a bin with pine wood shavings. The house is usually 60°f to 70°f.

Well, we bought him at Tractor Supply Co., and the food we're feedong him is Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter.

Okay, thanks! What are you using for a heat source to keep him warm? What is the temperature in the brooder? What kind of bedding are you using?

What type of medication is in the medicated feed? If it's amprolium, it is safe for ducklings to eat but they don't need it. Something made with ducklings in mind would be better, like a flock raiser feed or Purina Meat Bird feed.

Okay, thanks! What are you using for a heat source to keep him warm? What kind of bedding are you using?

What type of medication is in the medicated feed? If it's amprolium, it is safe for ducklings to eat but they don't need it. Something made with ducklings in mind would be better, like a flock raiser feed or Purina Meat Bird feed.

The feed is medicated with amprolium, and we don't use a heat source since the house is usually warm. The bedding is pine wood shavings.

The feed is medicated with amprolium, and we don't use a heat source since the house is usually warm. The bedding is pine wood shavings.

The bedding is fine, but you need a heat source unless your house is at least 90 degrees if he is a week or less old. Did you also not provide heat for the others that developed symptoms?

Get him warm ASAP. Go get a heat lamp, or get a heating pad and put it in his brooder so that he can climb under it to warm up.

The bedding is fine, but you need a heat source unless your house is at least 90 degrees if he is a week or less old. Did you also not provide heat for the others that developed symptoms?

When it was apparwnt that they were sick, we wrapped them in a blanket and put them on a heating pad set at low.

Back
Top Bottom