Sick Ducklings?

@cochins1088 , I think you"re doing things in the right order... rule out environmental, then decide to give antibiotics or not. Once that is ruled out, the antibiotic I would use it Baytril. You have 22.7mg tabs, so you could take 1/4 tab (5.76mg), add some amount of water or compounding syrup and dose by weight. If you have a small animal vet that you normally see, call them and ask if they'll sell you some compounding syrup The Baytril dose I would use is 10mg/kg (1mg per 100 grams) twice a day, which means you would have to weigh them on a kitchen scale and do a little math. Let me know if you need help with this.

Example: Crush 1/4 tab and to measuring container. Fill container to 10 ml mark. Now you have 10 ml of Baytril liquid that has 0.576mg Baytril per one ml. Make sense?

-Kathy

Good idea! I've had plenty of practice with dilutions and conversions in my Chemistry courses. As long as I can get the tablets to properly dissolve, this should work well.

Hope appears normal, she isn't showing any signs of respiratory distress. Faith is still sneezing and breathing heavier. I plan to start her on baytril tonight. Perhaps she developed pneumonia with the stress/temperature changes.

Good idea! I've had plenty of practice with dilutions and conversions in my Chemistry courses. As long as I can get the tablets to properly dissolve, this should work well.

Hope appears normal, she isn't showing any signs of respiratory distress. Faith is still sneezing and breathing heavier. I plan to start her on baytril tonight. Perhaps she developed pneumonia with the stress/temperature changes.
Hopefully the Baytril will kick in quick.

I don't think the tabs dissolve well, which is why I suggested a suspension syrup. One also might be able to use water with corn syrup, the particles might stay suspended longer than just water.

-Kathy

I don't think the tabs dissolve well, which is why I suggested a suspension syrup. One also might be able to use water with corn syrup, the particles might stay suspended longer than just water.

-Kathy

The liquid didn't go so well... most of it ended up on me and I don't have any tubes small enough to get it directly into her crop.

She weighs approximately 150 grams. If I divide a tablet into 8 parts, each piece will contain approximately 2.8 mg. If I gave her 1/8th of a tablet once a day, it would be a dose of ~ 19 mg per kg. Do you think this will be ok Kathy? I'm currently giving one of my roosters 15 - 20 mg/kg a day and he has improved tremendously (he developed an infection while recovering from frostbite damage).

Also, how long would you administer the Baytril? I was thinking 5 days?

Quote: Sounds like a good plan!

FWIW, vets have told me to give the following amounts of Baytril:
  • 10 mg/kg twice a day
  • 15 mg/kg once a day
  • 20 mg/kg once a day

Each time it's never been for more than five days. If it's going to work you should see a drastic improvement in 24-48 hours max.

Baytril pictures
LL

-Kathy

This might give you an idea of how quickly it can work:
Here are some pictures of my first ever sinus infection. Chick weight - 800 grams. Gave 0.16ml of 10% Baytril IM.

Have my first URI in a peachick. Here it is at 9 am:

Four hours later:

Here he is 8 hours later. Note that I have not wiped his face.

28 hours later - still some swelling that is hard to see in pictures and some clear drainage from nostril. Up five grams, which is not enough, but it's better than a loss.

Chick was 100% after just two shots, but gave two more per the recommendation of a vet.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom