Sick female duck

Pojojuniper

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2022
I have three ducks; two males and one female. The males are healthy but about a month ago the female stopped eating, drinking, and was walking with her bill tucked down to her chest. I brought her in and gave her water with a medicinal dose of apple cider vinegar, and fed her unsweetened apple sauce. I treated her in this way for a few days and she did perk up a little, but she still doesn't look healthy. She is eating, drinking, and quacking/honking, but she isn't grooming herself well and her egg production has dropped dramatically. She just looks sad and is still walking with her head down most of the time. She has no obvious injuries or infections. What can I do?

The proper ratio for males to females is about 1 male to 5-6 females. Is she being overmated? This could kill her! Please find more females for your flock and maybe get rid of one of your males. How old is she? What type of feed does she have?

Thank you, I have separated her from the males and will keep her thus until I can decide what to do about the problem of over-mating. My poor little girl! Thanks again for your kind assistance.

That's a good idea for now - it would be nice to have them in their usual space but divided with a see-through fence so she's not lonely.

That's a good idea for now - it would be nice to have them in their usual space but divided with a see-through fence so she's not lonely.
Yeah, they are sticking close together and "talking" to each other through the fence.

Back
Top Bottom