Sick goose

Doxy works great against spirochetes and various mycoplasmas, it doesn’t seem to have a lot of effect on a lot of intestinal parasites or but may or may not have an effect on clostridium, but it’s know to have a protective affect against it so if you have it you can definitely try it.

if you can definitely try giving her the Tylan via syringe. It has a fairly horrible taste and she probably isn’t going to want to drink her water with it in it. In my experience medicine diluted in water isn’t as effective because it doesn’t get consumed in high enough quantities.
The best way to give a goose oral meds is to corner and grab them, squat over them just enough that you’ve sort of have them pinned in place with your legs and body but not sitting on them, with one hand apply pressure to the corners of their mouth until they open, then wrap your hand around the top of their bill “it gives you control of their head and it’s harder for them to bite.” With the other hand insert the pill as far down their throat as possible/ insert the syringe as far down their right side of the throat as you can and hit the plunger.
The faster you do this the easier it is and less stressful for the goose.
Offering a treat before and after can also help to train them into not being as bothered by it after a few times.
Ok, I didn't have a problem giving her the worm meds so I'll try the syringe
Doxy works great against spirochetes and various mycoplasmas, it doesn’t seem to have a lot of effect on a lot of intestinal parasites or but may or may not have an effect on clostridium, but it’s know to have a protective affect against it so if you have it you can definitely try it.

if you can definitely try giving her the Tylan via syringe. It has a fairly horrible taste and she probably isn’t going to want to drink her water with it in it. In my experience medicine diluted in water isn’t as effective because it doesn’t get consumed in high enough quantities.
The best way to give a goose oral meds is to corner and grab them, squat over them just enough that you’ve sort of have them pinned in place with your legs and body but not sitting on them, with one hand apply pressure to the corners of their mouth until they open, then wrap your hand around the top of their bill “it gives you control of their head and it’s harder for them to bite.” With the other hand insert the pill as far down their throat as possible/ insert the syringe as far down their right side of the throat as you can and hit the plunger.
Offering a treat before and after can also help to train them into not being as bothered by it after a few times.
Ok, I'll try it out. She took the worm meds well

Okay I gave it to her orally.

She is eating a little and spunked up as well. Now I'm concerned about her eyes. Maybe it's just a symptom of a sick goose?
received_2342562119249997.jpeg

She did not make it sadly. I'm not sure what she had or why. She was loved. None of my other birds are sick. Thank you for your help!

How long has she been like this?
What do her droppings look like?
Has her beak always been that shade or has it gotten pale recently?

Stop giving her diatomaceous earth, if it’s not doing anything to make her better then there’s no point. It can also cause lung damage if inhaled.

Have you felt her abdomen to see if she has a mass? If she’s reluctant to sit down she likely has pain in her abdomen.
You'll feel two bumps way back near her tail which is her pelvis, between that and her rib cage if you feel a hard ball that feels like it’s bubbling it’s a swollen gassy intestine. If it feels hard but doesn’t bubble or gurgle it could possibly be a stuck egg.
If she’s egg bound setting her in a tub of warm water “not hot” and letting her soak for awhile can help. Give her some calcium like oyster shell or crushed eggshell also.

If she has an intestinal infection you may want to try worming her, safeguard horse paste or the liquid goat version works on worms and Giardia. If it’s a bacterial infection you might try an antibiotic, SMZ TMP, metronidazole, Tylosin are good options depending on the cause but generally those 3 work on a variety of potential causes.
You could also try putting her on a round of corid if it’s coccidia.
Hello, I am experiencing a similar problem. I believe that based off the info you provided in this thread, (thank u btw) that he does have worms. Do you know if equimax oral horse paste is also effective?

Hello, I am experiencing a similar problem. I believe that based off the info you provided in this thread, (thank u btw) that he does have worms. Do you know if equimax oral horse paste is also effective?
Im unfamiliar with that one So I looked it up, geese can be given ivermectin but it’s mostly useful against mites. The other chemical in it I haven’t heard of being used for birds so I would avoid it.

Keep in mind it isn’t impossible for geese to get worms but compared to ducks and chickens their habits generally make it unlikely for them to have worms, unless they’re kept in an area with a heavy parasite load in the soil.

Good to know. I ended up getting the safeguard horse paste just to be safe. If I were to list my goose’s symptoms, do you think you could give me an educated guess on what might be ailing him?

I am wondering if my goose had an impacted or sour crop. I just had an old chicken die from it. I hope your goose gets better!

Back
Top Bottom