Sick hen ate a staple

sl98

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2021
Hello
My chicken ate an open staple 3days ago, she was completely fine till today, Her comb turned pale and she seems tired and sick
Yesterday i fed her some chicken's meat and joints and her abdomen got full
Her abdomen still looks full today, she didnt drink water and her stoll was dry so i gave her throw a syringe
I took her a week ago cuz she keeps opening a wound she has to drink her blood, It was swollen back then and the ven gave me povidone iodine drops and drops of a reddish pink antibiotic and refused to tell me what it is

The place where her wound is looks bigger and swollen as in the picture, it used to be similar when she loses blood throw her wound, her comb becomes pale too back then
But she didnt lose blood throw her wound this time 😕
Seems like internal hemorrhage
Also her feet fingers are like this, she had this when she was younger but got throw it if it was normal
She may need a surgery and a xray, the xray isnt availbe so idk how will stuff go
I will take her to ven tomorrow

She also has a black circle in her feet, the doctor gave her the antibiotic for that but i dont
that would help her, has been on the antibiotic for ~week
Screenshot_1.png

In any case of a chicken swallowing something hard and sharp such as a steel staple, screw or nail, immediately give the chicken raw egg whites to drink down. It's much slimier than oil and should protect delicate tissue from being injured as also helps to float the object through the digestive tract.

It may be too late, but you can try this and see if it helps. The other alternative is surgery, but you need the vet take Xrays to locate the staple so they know where in the digestive system it is.

The "circles" on the feet are called bumblefoot in English speaking countries. It's infection, but needs to be treated with surgical removal of the pus under the scabs, then with an ointment to keep bacteria out of the healing wound.

In any case of a chicken swallowing something hard and sharp such as a steel staple, screw or nail, immediately give the chicken raw egg whites to drink down. It's much slimier than oil and should protect delicate tissue from being injured as also helps to float the object through the digestive tract.

It may be too late, but you can try this and see if it helps. The other alternative is surgery, but you need the vet take Xrays to locate the staple so they know where in the digestive system it is.

The "circles" on the feet are called bumblefoot in English speaking countries. It's infection, but needs to be treated with surgical removal of the pus under the scabs, then with an ointment to keep bacteria out of the healing wound.
Thank you so much
I will try egg whites, I hope that will help 😔
The ven removed one of the bumblefoot with his hands and it hurt her, it looked a bit deep then he said 'I'll give you a medic for that' and gave me the anti infection medication
I'm not even sure if that was an antibiotic, but i remember its name was similar to "Erythromycin"
The bumblefoot grew again the next day
Needs an anti bacterial ointment like Gentamicin ?

Thank you so much
The ven removed one of the bumblefoot with his hands and it hurt her, it looked a bit deep then he said 'I'll give you a medic for that' and gave me the anti infection medication
I'm not even sure if that was an antibiotic, but i remember its name was similar to "Erythromycin"
From what I understand, you have to keep draining the foot until it doesnt pus up anymore. Epsom salt soak, then remove scab, drain, apply medicine, etc. That is what our family does, and what most others I know around these parts, do. Erythromycin is an antibiotic. It should help the foot and wound.

Thank you so much
Bear in mind, I am no expert. Just telling you what worked for me.

She is better today, her comb is pink now but it doesnt turn red when she gets angry "ex:when getting near the rooster"

Her big or swollen thighs got worse 😢

tried taking her to 2 vens but they were both closed 😭

I gave her epiphysis 'sides of the chicken bones' to help with her blood formation

And egg's white & yolk

Can i give her oral ferrous sulphate ?
Like 1ml of 40mg/15ml diluted in 1L or smth like that?, Its intended for human's anemia

She is even better today, her comb is almost red and she is stronger
But that part of her thigh looks bigger and worse...i suspect the staple to be there because i feel a hard thing while touching it other than her bones

Can she survive if the staple is still inside her? 😢

Back
Top Bottom