Sick Hen With White Diarrhea! Please Help!

Skylar Bishop

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2017
My 2 1/2 year old Austra White Started Having White Diarrhea and is not wanting to eat or drink much. She seems like she still has some energy left in her but otherwise is not doing much. She doesn't have a fever and my other girls are doing good. I have already separated her and gave her electrolyte water. From articles I've read, it sounds like coccidiosis but I'm just not sure, I don't want to cause her more harm. I'm thankful for any help that I can get.

EDIT: After Posting this I managed to get her to eat some wet food

Last edited:
2 1/2 year old Austra White Started Having White Diarrhea and is not wanting to eat or drink much. She seems like she still has some energy left in her but otherwise is not doing much

I forgot to mention in my post that before She had white diarrhea, it was green. Besides diarrhea, she has lost weight, has feathers falling out, and refuses to drink water.
Can you please post some photos of her and her poop?
When is the last time she laid an egg?

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, it should be empty. When is the last time she laid an egg?
You mention weight loss and feathers falling out....do you see new feathers coming in, is she molting? I would check her for lice/mites too.

Yes Corid water should be the only water source. It is hard to know if it is coccidiosis or not without getting some droppings checked by a vet. You can go ahead and treat with the Corid and see if she improves. White runny urates can be a sign of dehydration.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss:hugs

Without further examination, there's really no way to know what happened. Would you consider sending the body to your state lab for necropsy to get more information?

I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss:hugs

Without further examination, there's really no way to know what happened. Would you consider sending the body to your state lab for necropsy to get more information?
I Might think about it, we dont have much money at the moment, and my family wants a nice burial for her, but i will definitely think about it.

I Might think about it, we dont have much money at the moment, and my family wants a nice burial for her, but i will definitely think about it.
That's completely understandable :hugs

I get attached to mine, it can be hard. I usually do my own informal necropsy here at home (a lot of us do) that way I can bury them when I get done. The ones that I have done, the girls died from reproductive disorders like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer or similar.

I'm not being pushy or trying to be gruesome, if sending the body is something you want to think about, it does need to be refrigerated. Some states are very reasonable with cost, while others it a lot of money, if you want, I can look up your state lab for you, but I don't know your state.

we did end up burying her this morning, i looked up necropsy in my area and i couldn't find a reliable person. I did more research and it sound like some sort of poison or toxic metal. Only a little while ago we discovered my house sits on top of an old dump so we find crazy things such as metal pipes, glass bottles, and other old rusty objects. So we have started to look for property up north and will hopefully leave this dump soon.

hey!!
I’ve delt with this many times.... but yes it does sound like coccidiosis. Start your hen on corid, you can find it online and at your local feed store. Do a 5-7 day treatment by putting a table spoon into her water. Make sure she has clean water on the side. Continue to monitor her poop and food in take. If she doesn’t seem to want to drink the water then us a syringe and give it to her. It also won’t hurt to treat your other girls as well. Corid won’t hurt healthy birds. I typically do a corid treatment every month or when it gets really hot and rainy. :) keep me posted

hey!!
I’ve delt with this many times.... but yes it does sound like coccidiosis. Start your hen on corid, you can find it online and at your local feed store. Do a 5-7 day treatment by putting a table spoon into her water. Make sure she has clean water on the side. Continue to monitor her poop and food in take. If she doesn’t seem to want to drink the water then us a syringe and give it to her. It also won’t hurt to treat your other girls as well. Corid won’t hurt healthy birds. I typically do a corid treatment every month or when it gets really hot and rainy. :) keep me posted
Thank you so much, I will be sure to do that. I live in Florida so it has been extremely hot and rainy. None of my girls have ever been sick like this. Is there anything else I can do to make her more comfortable? Or food that will be easy for her to eat?

Back
Top Bottom