Sick Hen With White Diarrhea! Please Help!

Skylar Bishop

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2017
My 2 1/2 year old Austra White Started Having White Diarrhea and is not wanting to eat or drink much. She seems like she still has some energy left in her but otherwise is not doing much. She doesn't have a fever and my other girls are doing good. I have already separated her and gave her electrolyte water. From articles I've read, it sounds like coccidiosis but I'm just not sure, I don't want to cause her more harm. I'm thankful for any help that I can get.

EDIT: After Posting this I managed to get her to eat some wet food

Last edited:
hey!!
I’ve delt with this many times.... but yes it does sound like coccidiosis. Start your hen on corid, you can find it online and at your local feed store. Do a 5-7 day treatment by putting a table spoon into her water. Make sure she has clean water on the side. Continue to monitor her poop and food in take. If she doesn’t seem to want to drink the water then us a syringe and give it to her. It also won’t hurt to treat your other girls as well. Corid won’t hurt healthy birds. I typically do a corid treatment every month or when it gets really hot and rainy. :) keep me posted

hey!!
I’ve delt with this many times.... but yes it does sound like coccidiosis. Start your hen on corid, you can find it online and at your local feed store. Do a 5-7 day treatment by putting a table spoon into her water. Make sure she has clean water on the side. Continue to monitor her poop and food in take. If she doesn’t seem to want to drink the water then us a syringe and give it to her. It also won’t hurt to treat your other girls as well. Corid won’t hurt healthy birds. I typically do a corid treatment every month or when it gets really hot and rainy. :) keep me posted
Thank you so much, I will be sure to do that. I live in Florida so it has been extremely hot and rainy. None of my girls have ever been sick like this. Is there anything else I can do to make her more comfortable? Or food that will be easy for her to eat?

Yes Corid water should be the only water source. It is hard to know if it is coccidiosis or not without getting some droppings checked by a vet. You can go ahead and treat with the Corid and see if she improves. White runny urates can be a sign of dehydration.

Not sure that white diarrhea is from coccidiosis.
It could just be from more water than feed, if it's very hot where you live.
Pic of poop would help.

but I think I've read that the Corid water is supposed to be their only source of water during treatment.
Absolutely.

gave her electrolyte water.
Might have been a good move, this should have plain water also available.
Is it hot where you live?
Location would help.

This is what I do when a bird if acting 'off':
I'd isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Not sure that white diarrhea is from coccidiosis.
It could just be from more water than feed, if it's very hot where you live.
Pic of poop would help.

Absolutely.

Might have been a good move, this should have plain water also available.
Is it hot where you live?
Location would help.

This is what I do when a bird if acting 'off':
I'd isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
I live In Escambia County, Florida so It has been pretty hot and rainy but my girls have lots of shade and a kiddie pool. I checked her abdomen, it's soft and squishy. I forgot to mention in my post that before She had white diarrhea, it was green. Besides diarrhea, she has lost weight, has feathers falling out, and refuses to drink water. She doesn't look like she is in any pain or stressed out. She is also alert and responding to her name, She just seems tired.
I will get a picture of her and the poop tomorrow as the light where she is at is broken.

Last edited:
2 1/2 year old Austra White Started Having White Diarrhea and is not wanting to eat or drink much. She seems like she still has some energy left in her but otherwise is not doing much

I forgot to mention in my post that before She had white diarrhea, it was green. Besides diarrhea, she has lost weight, has feathers falling out, and refuses to drink water.
Can you please post some photos of her and her poop?
When is the last time she laid an egg?

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, it should be empty. When is the last time she laid an egg?
You mention weight loss and feathers falling out....do you see new feathers coming in, is she molting? I would check her for lice/mites too.

Can you please post some photos of her and her poop?
When is the last time she laid an egg?

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, it should be empty. When is the last time she laid an egg?
You mention weight loss and feathers falling out....do you see new feathers coming in, is she molting? I would check her for lice/mites too.
She hasn't Laid in at least a week. She doesn't seem like she is molting but her feathers are dry.
IMG_20190806_215627[1].jpg
IMG_20190806_215729[1].jpg

This is her most recent poop. It looks much greener in real life. They are not great pictures but its the best i can get at the moment.

Her feathers are dry or falling out?
I would check her crop first thing in the morning, see if it's empty.

Can you take some samples of poop in for testing of worms?

Back
Top Bottom