J_lovely

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2022
hello there, i am posting in regards to my hen who doesn’t seem to recover. she keeps pooping diarrhea or a watery solution and keeps on gasping for air. her back feathers are falling out showing her exposed red skin. we’ve tried vetrx but so far that doesn’t seem to be affective. does anyone have any recommendations? i must add she’s 1 of 2 hens i have. the other one seems to be immune to the illness due to the fact she came from a farm without proper care and all ill, causing me one of my roosters and unfortunately now my hen. please i would appreciate any opinion or help in regards to my hen. thank you. (this video is from 2 months ago, but she still has a very pale peak and has the same movement :
)

Attachments

• IMG_6278.jpeg
    IMG_6278.jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 17
hello there, i am posting in regards to my hen who doesn’t seem to recover. she keeps pooping diarrhea or a watery solution and keeps on gasping for air. her back feathers are falling out showing her exposed red skin. we’ve tried vetrx but so far that doesn’t seem to be affective. does anyone have any recommendations? i must add she’s 1 of 2 hens i have. the other one seems to be immune to the illness due to the fact she came from a farm without proper care and all ill, causing me one of my roosters and unfortunately now my hen. please i would appreciate any opinion or help in regards to my hen. thank you. (this video is from 2 months ago, but she still has a very pale peak and has the same movement :
)
Can you post a current video of her? The video you linked is a couple of months old, I'd like to see what she looks like now. Photos of her poop too.
Thanks!

Looks like she's a Meat Bird, so quite a heavy bird to begin with. Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
She may be starting to have some difficulties since most meat birds are processed for food at around 8-12 weeks of age. As they get older, they can have problems like organ failure, fluid accumulation around the organs, difficulty walking, etc. They do don't always fully feather in either.

edited to correct "do" to "don't"

Last edited:
)
Molting generally starts there, but not so sure that she's molting. Worms/mites will also do that, yet if your other hen is fine, that's doubtful then too.
I would separate her from your other one and make sure she's on vitamin water like Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell, and up her protein while you try figure this out. A current video would help too.

Can you post a current video of her? The video you linked is a couple of months old, I'd like to see what she looks like now. Photos of her poop too.
Thanks!

Looks like she's a Meat Bird, so quite a heavy bird to begin with. Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
She may be starting to have some difficulties since most meat birds are processed for food at around 8-12 weeks of age. As they get older, they can have problems like organ failure, fluid accumulation around the organs, difficulty walking, etc. They do always fully feather in either.
hey there, l
Thanks!

She may be starting to have some difficulties since most meat birds are processed for food at around 8-12 weeks of age. As they get older, they can have problems like organ failure, fluid accumulation around the organs, difficulty walking, etc. They do always fully feather in either.
hey there! thanks for your reply. i do agree she might have been intended as a meat bird. we did get her at a flea market, but i don’t have the heart to use her as meat. i will keep a look out at her crop and if i may ask, how exactly can i figure out where the crop is or how to feel it? and what do you mean by fully feather in either? i do apologize for my lack of knowledge when caring for my chicken, i appreciate any and all help, thank you!
in this video below you can see the back and lower the watery poop, i do apologize i don’t have a current picture of it. she doesn’t seem to gasp for air in this video but she still doing the same as the video from a few months ago.

Molting generally starts there, but not so sure that she's molting. Worms/mites will also do that, yet if your other hen is fine, that's doubtful then too.
I would separate her from your other one and make sure she's on vitamin water like Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell, and up her protein while you try figure this out. A current video would help too.
thank you for the advice! my other hen also seems to be loosing feathers, having a sorta mini bald spot on her back and below her private area. if i may ask what protein may be helpful for her? attached here is a video from today in the morning with her bare back and you can see the consistency of her poop in the video as well.

i will keep a look out at her crop and if i may ask, how exactly can i figure out where the crop is or how to feel it? and what do you mean by fully feather in either?
What I meant is meat birds often do not fully feather in - this is one reason why she may not have as many feathers and some bare spots. Less feathers makes it easier to process this type of bird.

To check her crop, feel the right side of her breast when she goes to roost, you should feel a bulge like a full bean bag-that's the crop, it will have food/water in it when she goes to bed because she's been eating/drinking.
Go back out First Thing in the morning and check that same area again. Do this before she's had anything to eat or drink. The crop should be empty or flat.
If the crop is not flat or empty, let us know.
Get some photos of her poop too.

What I meant is meat birds often do not fully feather in - this is one reason why she may not have as many feathers and some bare spots. Less feathers makes it easier to process this type of bird.

To check her crop, feel the right side of her breast when she goes to roost, you should feel a bulge like a full bean bag-that's the crop, it will have food/water in it when she goes to bed because she's been eating/drinking.
Go back out First Thing in the morning and check that same area again. Do this before she's had anything to eat or drink. The crop should be empty or flat.
If the crop is not flat or empty, let us know.
Get some photos of her poop too.
oh i understand now, thank you. i will feel her crop today at night and tomorrow morning. will be on the lookout for her poop and make sure to get some right photos in order to share it. thank you for the help and guidance!

oh i understand now, thank you. i will feel her crop today at night and tomorrow morning. will be on the lookout for her poop and make sure to get some right photos in order to share it. thank you for the help and guidance!
hey there, today before they ate i tried to get as close to her crop as she started pecking me (i with a stick too although i doubt it did much) and wasn’t able to feel much, felt flat. i will try again once my father returns at night to see if her crop feels full. i also managed to get a picture of her poop.

Attachments

• IMG_6311.jpeg
    IMG_6311.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6312.jpeg
    IMG_6312.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
hey there, today before they ate i tried to get as close to her crop as she started pecking me (i with a stick too although i doubt it did much) and wasn’t able to feel much, felt flat. i will try again once my father returns at night to see if her crop feels full. i also managed to get a picture of her poop.
Looks like cecal poop which is pretty normal.

Back
Top Bottom