HuskerHens18

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Chickenlandia
My Isa is my baby. It was a shock to go outside today and find her unable to stand, last night at about 11pm she was perfectly fine.
I found no injuries, but she sometimes squeezes her eyes shut like she's in pain.
She keeps her legs tucked underneath of her. If I make her stand normally, she will stand fine for around 5 seconds and rock back on her butt before collapsing. She flaps her wings like she's off balance and her tail is down. Its NEVER down so I know something isnt right.
She laid an egg this morning and was sitting on it when I found her, she doesnt ever sit on eggs and isnt broody. It was by her butt, not underneath her belly.
She's about 2 years old I think, maybe closer to 1 and 1/2 years.
She drank quite a bit of water, more than usual, and wasnt terriblely interested in food until her Male flock mate encouraged her to do so, then she would peck around and take food from his beak.
Her feathers are slightly fluffed out, but not dramatically so.

She is not thin at all, and I found no weird poops in the pen. I felt her crop, it was full of water I think, as it was big and squishy. I wouldnt say dangerously large though, I've seen bigger on a healthy hen.
I tried feeling the abdomen for any eggs and did not feel any, but she fought me hard so I didnt get a good feel. Her butt was super clean, no poop clinging to any feathers.
I also checked for bumblefoot, her feet look fine.

I don't know what to do, I love her to pieces and have run out of ideas what could be wrong. I gave her nutri Drench and an egg. I am at work unfortunately and wont be able to give an update for a few hours. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!! God bless <3

20190926_195824.jpg
she's even worse tonight. I doubt she'll make it through the night. My heart is broken.

View attachment 1918792 she's even worse tonight. I doubt she'll make it through the night. My heart is broken.

The top part of her comb looks purplish, a possible sign she isn't oxygenating - any chance that she's got waterbelly (ascities) going on? If so, draining might bring her some relief. On hen I had didn't get the real saggy typical waterbelly- it was more like like an intertube-- I knew it was time to drain her when she got her John Wayne walk going, because the fluid would make it so she had to walk with a wide stance, different from other ascities cases I've seen.

Though sometimes, it's organ failure and there's not a whole lot we can do. A few weeks back I lost a hen in much the same way - found her down in the run, put her in a crate and by the time I finished feeding, she had left us.

If you've got a small spot for her where you can kind of prop her up on like rolled towels or straw so she's at least not laying flat out, it might help her comfort level. I'm so sorry. I hate it when things go down hill suddenly.

The top part of her comb looks purplish, a possible sign she isn't oxygenating - any chance that she's got waterbelly (ascities) going on? If so, draining might bring her some relief. On hen I had didn't get the real saggy typical waterbelly- it was more like like an intertube-- I knew it was time to drain her when she got her John Wayne walk going, because the fluid would make it so she had to walk with a wide stance, different from other ascities cases I've seen.

Though sometimes, it's organ failure and there's not a whole lot we can do. A few weeks back I lost a hen in much the same way - found her down in the run, put her in a crate and by the time I finished feeding, she had left us.

If you've got a small spot for her where you can kind of prop her up on like rolled towels or straw so she's at least not laying flat out, it might help her comfort level. I'm so sorry. I hate it when things go down hill suddenly.
Do you think she'll survive the night if it is water belly? I have never drained anything and unsure if I should without being properly showed how. If she does make it I will be rushing her to the vet in the morning.
I'll go prop her up now, she's in a small cage with her bantam buddy.
I was pretty worried it was organ failure, I know she's an ISA Brown and they weren't bred to live long, but I'd thought I'd have more time with her than this.
I'm so sorry to hear about your chicken too :hugs

I'm sorry about your hen.
Have you added any new chickens to your flock in the last 30 days?

The position she is in reminds me of Marek's disease. If you happen to lose her, getting some testing to find out more would be a good idea.

In the meantime, I would re-check her crop first thing in the morning to see that it's emptied.

I'm sorry about your hen.
Have you added any new chickens to your flock in the last 30 days?

The position she is in reminds me of Marek's disease. If you happen to lose her, getting some testing to find out more would be a good idea.

In the meantime, I would re-check her crop first thing in the morning to see that it's emptied.
Nope, I havent been around any other chickens either. My flock got tested LAST summer for Mareks at it came back negative. But, that was last year so anything is possible in that amount of time.
I felt her body more as I went out to prop her up and I think Shezadandy is right about waterbelly. What I assumed was "meat" feels pretty fluid like on her chest and belly now. I just hope she can make it to morning, she went downhill so fast.

Do you think she'll survive the night if it is water belly? I have never drained anything and unsure if I should without being properly showed how. If she does make it I will be rushing her to the vet in the morning.
I'll go prop her up now, she's in a small cage with her bantam buddy.
I was pretty worried it was organ failure, I know she's an ISA Brown and they weren't bred to live long, but I'd thought I'd have more time with her than this.
I'm so sorry to hear about your chicken too :hugs

Thanks, it's been a hard few weeks- one was from our very first group and was the our favorite. She's the one I drained on a regular basis which gave her a comfortable life for about a year.

As long as she can breathe, she should make it. Open mouth breathing and a darker purplish comb are the hallmarks of difficulty breathing- it just depends on what's actually wrong and how severe the problem is. If it's out and out organ failure as opposed to fluid collecting, there might not be anything to drain. I hope she makes it to the vet and there's a good treatment plan!!

I'll post a link to a video below that gave me courage the first time I drained a hen- my edits to the process are I stopped bothering to attach a syringe since it's usually just me and I've only got so many hands! I just used the needle and let it drain/drip out. It's not a bad idea to have a 14 or 16 gauge 1" long needle or two in the medical box if you find yourself with a clear case of waterbelly and with difficulty breathing.

Draining won't cure the underlying problem, just makes it easier to breathe. And, of course, one has to weigh the benefit against the risk of puncturing the abdomen. Usually the farm stores have 16 gauge needles by the cattle medications. The 18/20/22's are smaller holes and take considerably longer- the goal is one poke to drain the whole thing instead of a bunch of sticks with a small needle.

Nope, I havent been around any other chickens either. My flock got tested LAST summer for Mareks at it came back negative. But, that was last year so anything is possible in that amount of time.
I felt her body more as I went out to prop her up and I think Shezadandy is right about waterbelly. What I assumed was "meat" feels pretty fluid like on her chest and belly now. I just hope she can make it to morning, she went downhill so fast.

Do you know anyone with larger livestock - cows or horses - that might have a needle you could use? Walgreens or something like it probably only has the tiny needles.

Back
Top Bottom