Sick peachick ***GRAPHIC PIC***

bird

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Oregon
My more than a month old peachick is sick.
roll.png
It has loss of weight and barely eat and drink. I am feeding them with medicated chick starter and grind up dried cat food. In their water I put vitamins. Here is a pic of his stool .

25935_peapooh.jpg

In local feed store they have only sulfadimethoxine soluble powder for coccidiosis in turkeys and now I have to figure the dose for my peachick. I am not sure what it has, but I will give some of this med (after I figured the dose.)
Any suggestions will be appreciate.

They need a game and turkey feed.It contains meds (basitration spelling)for blackhead,which turkets and peafowl are suseptible to.Dimetridazole is the treatment for blackhead.Couldn't tell you where to find it,I would ask your local vet and see if he carries it.
In N.H.,Tony.

For black head disease you can get Fish Zole, a fish medication with the same active ingredient... But normally their poo is a sulfur yellow. Coccidia could be a problem... not sure about the black specks..... Sulmet or my favorite Corid works for coccidia, which often can give whitish stools, blood in stools when it has gone on awhile.....What has your pea been eating- diet, free range time..? Has it been raised on the ground or in a pen, or on wire? Has it been around other birds?

Thank you for your help. The peachicks are in box by themself. They are fed with chick starter and cat food plus water with poultry vitamins. A week ago from the floor they were moved in the basement (always under heat lamp). I have many other birds - chickens, ducks and pheasants, but they don't have direct contact. Unfortunately, down in the basement there are flies coming from outside and maybe they helped for this sickness. The black specks are actually very dark brownish color, round shape and longer than their diameter, particles in the stool.

25935_sick.jpg

This is the peachick...

i use dimethox it seems to do well its just the genneric for albon i use1/8 teaspoon to a gallon for a week making new each day as it is strong and more used for cattle and large poultry operations. but it as cured many of my sick ones i hope this helps

i know that sounds like a small amount but that is what me my dad and a friend got when we math it down to a gallon and it works

I would stop the cat food and only use that as a treat when they get older, as too much protein at an early age can cause leg issues. That aside..... are the back spots in the pics from the poo? Or is something in the feed have black seeds? I have not used Albon personally so i can not give advice on that med but I use Corid, a cattle med for coccidia at 1 teaspoon per gallon. It is the same ingredient in medicated feed just much stronger and harder to over dose them on then some meds. I get it at TSC.... not sure what is available where you are. i would get them started quick.....

Last edited:
Quote:
. I keep forgetting that name.
lol.png

We get ours from the Vet, It's nice to go to a Vet tell them the Meds you need and they sell them to you (but you have to know the Med name) because most Vets don't treat birds.

That is where most of the new Peafowl people get in trouble at: going to the Vet and getting stuff that don't work because they don't know the names.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom