Sick Peking Duck Please help

morkandmindygeese

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Lakeland, FL
I have a Peking hen that I recently obtained from someone. She cannot walk as her feet turn in on her and she uses her wings to support herself where ever she manages to hobble to. I wormed her with Wazine immediately. She is eating and drinking well though she is very thin. She is also very interested in swimming and preening herself in the little pool I have given to her and her sister. Her sister has no symptoms like hers and they have been together since they were ducklings. She seems happy but how she walks just breaks my heart. I have been administering the enfamil liquid vitamin to her twice a day for two days with very little improvement. I next plan to give both ducks some oyster shell and brewer's yeast to be sure I have covered all bases. I am sure it must be a nutrient deficiency or something as she is otherwise normal. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Neither duck is currently laying though I would not expect her to be in her state.

It does sound like a nutrient deficiency. I have vitamins I give sometimes - just keep a close watch, give her some attention, look for any other clues and post them so if anyone has seen it before they can help.

Can you take pics? Turned in feet are not curable. I have one with one turned in foot and one slipped tendon that she was born with. She is doing well and will be 8 soon. She scoots rather than walks and I have to put her in the pool for a bath.

She enjoys life, but there is no cure for her.

Vitamins won't hurt her, but she shouldn't need worming and just give oyster shell separately from her food. She will eat it as she needs to. She is probably thin because it is hard for her to get around. You can put a dish near her and make sure other ducks don't eat it up before she gets her fill.

Her food and water dish are very close to where she prefers to lay. She has no trouble getting into her pool or to the food and water dish. She seems determined to enjoy her life regardless of the obstacles she has to face. Some people could learn from this duck and her determination to go on with her life with dignity:). I thought she might be curable as I believe this may have developed rather recently. I will try to get pictures tomorrow. Thanks so much for all of your input.

Back
Top Bottom