hey everyone, thank you so much for all the help. I would follow up with all the suggestions and hope that I can save him. Sorry for taking so long in answering my internet fell and I couldn't log in. Again thank you and I will be giving updates. Today he is still weak but still eating but is not eating much. I am going to try to take out all the fluid like jak2002003 said which is similar to what the vet did. Thank you again I really appreciate the help and I am going to try my best to save him.
Could you possibly remove the fluid with a syringe like the vet did? Reverse tube feeding [ @casportpony )? Best wishes in any case.:D

I was thinking of going out and buying a syringe and try to do it myself. I'm just scared of accidentally poking the wrong thing. But I am going to try since I think that is the best option here.

I was thinking of going out and buying a syringe and try to do it myself. I'm just scared of accidentally poking the wrong thing. But I am going to try since I think that is the best option here.
I tagged casportpony to give you some advice on this. If you have someone to help you hold him I think you should try as it will immdediately make him feel a lot better. I will try to get you a link to some tube feeding info to read first.
There are some great you tube videos about how to place the tube.

Did I read somewhere about monistat for human yeast infectons used for sour crop??? or am I delusional LOL.
Some people have used that in chickens, and I guess one could try, but the problem is that "sour crop" or "crop stasis" does not always mean their is a fungal infection. Crop stasis is very common in sick birds.

The pigeon in the story from the other forum had it's crop drained and flushed, but it probably also was given antibiotics or antifungals, maybe even both.

I looked at the links, I will try to do the tube feeding. If that doesn't work I will try to feed him with a syringe like a do a baby bird. Thank you for the suggestions, let's hope we can save this pigeon.

I looked at the links, I will try to do the tube feeding. If that doesn't work I will try to feed him with a syringe like a do a baby bird. Thank you for the suggestions, let's hope we can save this pigeon.
Sorry, I didn't mean feed him, I meant to insert the syringe to withdraw the fluid as in :
[an earlier post]
Pij had developed sour crop. The dr. explained he would need to aspirate the fluid out of the crop then flush it a couple times. With that said, we turned Pij over to them & in a few minutes he returned with Pij & a syringe with about 7 cc's of bile looking fluid.
I looked at the dr. & said, "All that came out of Pij's crop?" He replied, "No, there were 11 syringes." 70+ cc's of fluid was aspirated from that poor baby's crop.
eek.gif

Pij is a very husky pigeon (in fact he weighed in at 530 gr.). His crop did not look like it was enlarged. Although he showed no ill symptom

Back
Top Bottom