Sick pullet after shipping

You are likely in a minority with that thinking. Eggs are good nutrition. Many peeps assume that the chick comes from the yolk of the egg. Not exactly, but as the chick grows, absorbs all of the yolk. . A chick starts out not much bigger than a pinhead, and grows from the nutrients that come from the yolk. Often a chick starts to hatch with not all the yolk sac absorbed. Often those do not end well.:(
Fertile eggs.

View attachment 2716205
View attachment 2716204

View attachment 2716212
Wow, thanks for the education! I did not mean I believed anyone would be wrong to feed eggs, but as a first-timer learning as I go it did seem weird. Given your explanation, it actually makes sense.😎

Thanks for your reply. We brought her inside due to the severe heat we are having, this morning she's perked up a bit and stool is more normal. We plan to continue hand feeding and taking her to a vet tomorrow if she is unchanged. Neither of us understand how she's even still alive. As for chicks, where we live, they disappear within minutes of being put out for sale. Took us almost 2 months to get the two we still have. We were wanting pullets so that we weren't waiting months before we got eggs. The fact that the other pullet is doing so well leads me to believe this was not a healthy chicken from the start, but I have little faith that this company will do the right thing... whatever that is at this point.
Thanks again!
Glad she is improving. Yes, chicks are going quickly this year but not because of Covid. The spending spree our pres is on has many concerned about inflation and empty store shelves and power outages so they are doing survival prep. That is on part why I bought mine.

If you want I can check Tucson stores, but they will definitely be chicks. Message me and let me know.

I agree with @cavemanrich Continue hydration with water. I recommend also giving her 2 drops of Poultry Nutri Drench orally twice a day with the provided eyedropper. Do this for 3 days, then reduce to 1 drop orally twice a day for 4 days, then stop giving it to her. Too much can cause diarrhea.
It would be best to stop the ACV, probiotics, fresh veggies, electrolytes while giving her the Nutri Drench. You can give her mashed boiled egg to eat. Hopefully she'll pull through.
Am I the only one that finds it strange that chickens would eat eggs? My neighbor gave her pullets scrambled eggs the other day and I was like, what?? :idunno

Back
Top Bottom