1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick roo.....need advice asap

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KingsCalls, Sep 21, 2008.

1. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Hey guys and gals, I need some quick advice on a sick roo. He was fine yesterday and now today he is off balance and seems to be weak. His comb is darker and dull looking also. Any quick advice would help. Thanks

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    What does his droppings look like? Could he have gotten into anything bad? ie: stagnant water, bad feed, wild mushrooms? Any one else showing any signs?

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    not knowing the weather or environmental conditions (nor many other details) I still would advise you to separate to a temp stable dry and draft free place with fresh water and feed close to hand... this way you can monitor any further symptoms (and prevent any return to anything which might have caused this)... this will lessen any stress from environmental factors or the other birds picking on him.

4. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    He was fine yesterday. He had been seperated from the hens because he was causing too much harm to their backs. I kept him from them for 2 weeks and had just returned him to the pen with the pullets on Thursday. He was perky and full of himself yesterday at about 5 pm. This morning he had no energy, stood with his head down, his comb was dark and dull & he drank water but did not eat (that I saw). I gave him some sugar water hoping it would perk him up a little but, this has not worked.
    No other birds are showing any signs of being ill or having a lack of energy.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, just dont know, Jeff. The symptoms are a bit vague, although I realize sometimes that's all we have to go on. If I think of anything, I'll let you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by