Sick Silkie

MILOCHICKEN

Songster
Nov 27, 2016
Wellsburg, NY
My Coop
My Coop
I have a Red Silkie that is acting odd. Its mouth is always open and it sneezes a lot and keeps falling asleep. Does anyone know what is wrong with him or how to fix it? He is still eating and drinking.

Greetings MILOCHICKEN,

Your rooster has a respiratory infection of some kind, either viral or bacterial. It's good that he is still eating an drinking. He is falling asleep because his body is fighting the infection.

It would be good if you could take him to see a vet, then they could supply you with the needed medicines. If not, here are some suggestions.

You should isolate him in a crate, so you can attend to him. Put him somewhere out of drafts, if it is cold where you live, he may need some mild warmth, 65 to 72 degrees F.

Provide food and water, if he goes off feed you will have to offer other things for him to eat. Cooked brown rice or other whole grains, eggs, meats, diced fruits, cooked mixed frozen vegies are easy too. Fresh water should always be available, but make sure he doesn't knock it over, or he'll get chilled or even cause mold to grow.

He is going to need an antibiotic, for 7 to 10 days. Many keepers use Tylan 50, with good results, oral or injectable. I have used Denagard when there are more than one sick bird, it goes into the water. Or, I use Baytril, which is a broad spectrum antibiotic, like Tylan.

If it is viral, then the antibiotic will help with any secondary infection, and if it is bacterial, he should respond within 24 to 48 hours.

If you have some VetRx, which is like Vicks rub for people, apply some on the nostrils, around the eyes, and under the wing pits in the evening, before sleep. It will ease his symptoms, and make him more comfortable. A humidifier is also good therapy, for a few hours a day.

Administer some poultry vitamins to give him a boost.

Add some electrolytes to the water, too.

He has most likely already exposed the rest of the flock to what ever he has. But, just in case you should disinfect all the waterers. Be vigilant for symptoms in the other birds. Later you can look into how these respiratory pathogens can affect future birds.

These are my thoughts on your rooster's illness. I hope they have been helpful. Other members will offer advice, please consider them too.

God Bless :)

Back
Top Bottom