Sickly runt chick tucking head down

FromChictoChick

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
MA
My Coop
My Coop
I have a chick, it is a month old. One of six marans, but this one looks sizewise like it is a week old, less than half the size of the others. Has always been runty and sickly since she was shipped to me at a day old.

I've seperated her from the others since the back of her neck is bare/scabbed and I suspect she is being picked on.

Weirdly she seems to always have her head hanging, sort of twisted neck, and she always seems unsteady...could it be a deformity of nerological problem?

What can I do for her?

It sounds like its a deformity that happened during incubation. Theres not much you can do. Some people would cull her to put her out of her misery. If you chose to keep her alive, make sure she is separated from the rest until you believe she is big enough. Feed her turkey starter, it has more protein to help her growth. Put just a little bit of apple cider vinegar in the water, its a natural probiotic and a natural dewormer, plus it does all kinds of other things. You can look up all the benifits of apple cider vinegar (ACV) here on BYC. If you think she is big enough already, and think the other pick at her just for the sake of it, then you might want to give them a little more space and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom