Hey everyone!

So back in late august I noticed 3 of my hens’ laying slowed down. Then in September it completely stopped. They were growing noon feathers and losing feathers (especially large wing feathers). Now, those three hens haven’t laid, except for maybe 3 eggs, one or two a broken/soft shell. I gave them calcium for days, and even layer boost in their water. Then I stopped after a while and decided to let nature take its course, and see if they lay after molting (fingers crossed)
I had to treat for worms recently, and swollen bumblefoot (ugh) two of my hens feet are still slightly swollen.

The hen in question is eating, drinking, foraging, and all around acting like a normal chicken. Except for not laying regularly and walking oddly. She laid an egg last week btw. Is she just walking a bit oddly because her pin feathers are sore?

So….What do you guys think? .
Please tell me this is not Merecks!!!! Or any other wretched disease!!! Please😥

Video coming…

1880DABA-488A-445D-A820-551A941F5A70.jpeg

Attachments

• E0436EB2-E623-410C-B820-105D02600261.jpeg
    E0436EB2-E623-410C-B820-105D02600261.jpeg
    496.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Molting and pin feathers coming in make them feel uncomfortable. Is the bumblefoot treatment working?
Can we see the bottom of the feet?
You have to upload the video to a video hosting site (you tube, vimeo, etc) and then post here.
Here’s the bottom of her feet…I believe she is cured of bumblefoot😄
I washed her feet, while trying to keep her from flying, and I didn’t see and scabs

Attachments

• E0F3B543-94DA-4E91-8C47-EF4052ACD977.jpeg
    E0F3B543-94DA-4E91-8C47-EF4052ACD977.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 4D6C4BE2-8A56-4A76-9A0F-C774967F2187.jpeg
    4D6C4BE2-8A56-4A76-9A0F-C774967F2187.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 6
Her legs look a little red. I know on roosters that's hormone related, but I've not see that on my hens. It could be normal. Is it cold where you are?

Her legs look a little red. I know on roosters that's hormone related, but I've not see that on my hens. It could be normal. Is it cold where you are?
It actually has gotten down to 50° in the last few weeks. I have given them some scratch with corn before bed, to help with the cold. My henhouse is draft free, and I do put some vaseline on my hens’ feet during this transition to winter time.

I also use Permethrin once a week in the henhouse for pests, and, when it was warmer, I would spray my hens with it too. Now I am going to get permethrin dust for the winter, to make sure my hens stay pest free all winter long.
My hen isn’t limping or acting lame…Is it just the cold transition that makes her legs seem red?

Also, is she walking slightly sideways, sometimes not 100% all of the time) favoring her left side a bit, because of all the pin feathers? Her front neck is covered in them, her wings have them, and around her keel bone.

Last edited by a moderator:
50° isn't that cold. Birds acclimate to differences in temperatures. When I asked if it was cold, I meant less than 30°. The redness could be hormones, but I have only seen that with cockerels and roosters.
You really don't need the vaseline - but it's a good preventative for scaly leg mites. 😊
Also, if it were me, I would use the permethrin less and only as a preventative maybe every 3 months or when there is an active infestation.
You say draft free which is good, but how is the ventilation in your coop?
You mentioned side stepping - are you able to get a video of that?

@Crazy Maizie

It was around 80° or higher during the day about a month ago, with it only getting to 70-60° at night, so I am not sure if my hens’ feet are still acclimating to this sudden night cold. Also, it’s supposed to get down to 40-37° at night this week….😭

I have two large-ish vents located about 2 feet above my hens’ 19inch high 1 1/2 inch wide roosts. To make sure that there is no ammonia build up at night (my worst fear for my hens) I also sprinkle PDZ Stall Refresher Granules in their henhouse. I clean the henhouse out every day (due to my fear of mold, must, pests, etc…)

Okay I will switch to every three months with the permethrin. I was treating every week since I saw a few hens with lice, and wanted to make sure I kicked the little buggers haha

Here’s a video….

Have you seen the lice recently? Those temp fluctuations are fine. That is the same here. Birds acclimate better than we think. We tend to overthink things. 😉
Are your hens kept on limestone? That could be why they are limping. I'm not seeing the side stepping. Is there a certain time on the video where it's happening? I could have definitely missed it. Or are you referring to how shes putting the one foot in front of the other?

@Crazy Maizie
No I haven't seen lice, so I'll start the every 3 months treatment.

My hens free range an acre, and only their run has the rock to help with drainage. I am going to get pea gravel or something similar, to put over the rock I already have. I actually haven't seen my hens limp....Do you see that in the video?

At fifteen seconds, watch how she slightly walks crookedly or sideways, towards the feeder.....Maybe it is just me and I am over thinking this haha

I just rewatched - I saw her stumble a little with in the first 60 sec. Have you checked her ear area see if there is any blockage?

Back
Top Bottom