Hey everyone!

So back in late august I noticed 3 of my hens’ laying slowed down. Then in September it completely stopped. They were growing noon feathers and losing feathers (especially large wing feathers). Now, those three hens haven’t laid, except for maybe 3 eggs, one or two a broken/soft shell. I gave them calcium for days, and even layer boost in their water. Then I stopped after a while and decided to let nature take its course, and see if they lay after molting (fingers crossed)
I had to treat for worms recently, and swollen bumblefoot (ugh) two of my hens feet are still slightly swollen.

The hen in question is eating, drinking, foraging, and all around acting like a normal chicken. Except for not laying regularly and walking oddly. She laid an egg last week btw. Is she just walking a bit oddly because her pin feathers are sore?

So….What do you guys think? .
Please tell me this is not Merecks!!!! Or any other wretched disease!!! Please😥

Video coming…

1880DABA-488A-445D-A820-551A941F5A70.jpeg

Attachments

• E0436EB2-E623-410C-B820-105D02600261.jpeg
    E0436EB2-E623-410C-B820-105D02600261.jpeg
    496.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
I see her left foot is often crossing over the right.
Is the left foot the one with the bumble?
Hard to say exactly what is causing that movement, but as long as she can get around OK and is eating/drinking/pooping/roosting OK, I'd not worry.
I certainly wouldn't jump to the Mareks conclusion.

If there is not a known infestation you shouldn't be using permethrin or any other pesticide at all. By constantly using permethrin you may have built up a resistance to it in the pests, so it's no longer killing them effectively, while having the side effect of killing off beneficial insects like bees.
DITTO DAT!!

@Crazy Maizie
No I haven't seen lice, so I'll start the every 3 months treatment.
I wouldn't even do that much. If there is not a known infestation you shouldn't be using permethrin or any other pesticide at all. By constantly using permethrin you may have built up a resistance to it in the pests, so it's no longer killing them effectively, while having the side effect of killing off beneficial insects like bees.

Thanks for everyone’s replies! It’s really appreciated 😀
Upon further examination, I discovered her thighs and legs, keelbone, neck, wings, and even under her wings, covered in pin feathers.

So, I am going to say it is discomfort from the new feathers. I had another hen become especially grumpy and sedentary (not wanting to run around as much) since she had pin feathers EVERYWHERE…And I mean EVERYWHERE. Poor thing, had less than 12 feathers on her body at that time!!

She is acting fine, and her pin feathers have grown out considerably. She is not side stepping anymore 😎

Thanks again for everyone’s help!

I have been giving her nutridrench every other day, along with some Durvet poultry vitamins and electrolytes (maybe she needs electrolytes?) for the past two days.
Maybe enough of that, see if her poops solid up.
Just one dose is enough for a boost, doesn't need to be given ongoing.

The walk is likely due to molting. I've had hens walk a little oddly when their thighs and abdomen was full of pin feathers.

Most hens stop laying during molt, so you generally you have to wait for production to resume after that. Sometimes they don't start back up until after winter solstice depending on their age, this is when days start getting longer again.

She may benefit from some poultry vitamins. I usually just make a wet mash out their feed and add vitamins and little buttermilk, letting the whole flock have it. Some hens need a bit of extra protein during molt, so a treat of egg, fish or meat can be helpful as well.

She's lovely, I would just keep watch on her, see if the walking improves over the course of a week or so as she feathers out.

However, I have noticed her drinking more water than normal…? Her poos are liquid, sometimes with some excrement in it, but very liquidy.
I have been giving her nutridrench every other day, along with some Durvet poultry vitamins and electrolytes (maybe she needs electrolytes?) for the past two days. The hard part about giving her nutridrench is that I have to hold her, and her pin feathers are sore
Cut out the vitamins and electrolytes, likely the cause of the liquid poop.

Plain fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom