Sigh, I think we may be losing our 10 year old BR*Update~she's gone: (

You've given her a happy life, how beautiful she is, long-in-the-beak or not.
Ten years is a long life for these girls, you've done well by her.
Here's my cyber-hug to each of you...
hugs.gif

Henrietta, I was going to suggest a special mash, but you have that covered.
I am so glad this thread is more about supporting the good care Henrietta gave her BR, rather than a pity party. A person like Henrietta deserves to be acknowledged for the care that her BR got up till now.
I remember when my Gma died, I found comfort in how loving I treated her all her life. She was well loved by me. Why is this thread choking me up so bad? You all need not answer because I already know why.

aaaawwwww bless her heart. She is a very regal lady hen. What a wonderful life she has had. Aren't you lucky she chose you?
hugs.gif
I would go spend some time with her and make sure you tell her that you are very glad she chose you and your family.
smile.png

Quote:
So she is a Nanny McFee????
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
Sorry!!!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Ok, editing for my lack of sensitivity and the feeling of what a jerk I am in my gut!
sad.png
Someone smack me
smack.gif

Honestly, I am so proud of you that you raised her this long. I never imagined that a chicken could live so long. You must be doing something right! I know how you feel about loosing animals. Last night I lost 2 new babies due to my not feeling good for a couple days and letting DH take "CARE" of the chicks. Yep, you guessed it, no water no food. He forgot they were in the baby brooder. Luckily I got to feeling better and have saved 2 of the 4. I just cried and cried and said how horrible we are at being stewards of Gods little creatures!

My heart does go out to you!
love.gif
hugs.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness for all old biddies and for those who love them - and for those who love US, as I'm no spring chickie myself!

You inspired a new post on the world's oldest chickens, - called, of course, World's Oldest Chickens - and I hope you'll post a pic of the BR there, and enjoy. Thinking of you.

Last edited:
I'm afraid she's gone. She was all tucked up in an old towel in the garden shed out of the wind and away from the others. In a way I'm relieved that she won't have to go through another winter. She always had trouble walking in the coldest weather and we had to move her into the shed where she was much more comfortable. The coldest nights she spent in the basement in a dog crate.
Thank you all for your support and comfort, and to those who emailed expert advice. It's why I spend so much time here! I will cherish my other 13 all the more. Sunday our vicar will hold his annual Blessing of the Animals and I will bring her picture. (I'm also bringing my rooster, two khaki campbell ducks and 6 quail, but that's another thread.)
Hugs to all of you!!

Quote:
It has been a very positive and supporting thread. We obviously all love our chickens and think of them as more than egg layers or even pets.

Back
Top Bottom