Sight Sexing Barred Plymouth Rock Chicks at Hatch

Given that, they are a pair, just like we guessed :)

Hatchery and feed stores usually sell production based Barred Rocks. As long as you bought them as barred rocks, the sexing tips apply. The thing is, black sex link males are barred too, and this does not work on them.
aoxa you cant sex black sex link at hatch? I have a Black pure Ameraucana rooster over BR hens. I was told I would be able to sex them at hatch. The males would have spot on their head and lighter legs, the females would be solid black with very dark legs. Do you find this not true?

aoxa you cant sex black sex link at hatch? I have a Black pure Ameraucana rooster over BR hens. I was told I would be able to sex them at hatch. The males would have spot on their head and lighter legs, the females would be solid black with very dark legs. Do you find this not true?
It is true yes.

Very, very easy to sex black sex links.

The boys look just like a barred rock girl, and the girls are solid black.

Here they are now.. are we still certain girls?

Oh yeah, those are girls :)

IF they are straight BR, they are pullets. Of course, aoxa knows that, just adding that little tidbit for folks who are not sure what they have. I had several Silver Phoenix x BR cockerels that looked just like that, with barring almost identical. Thought they were BR pullets, until they hit 3-4 weeks old and the combs started reddening up. Didn't know the Phoenix had bred the BR hens. As with all sex links of that type, had 3 cockerels and one solid black pullet from the same parentage.

The rub is that often a barred cockerel with only one barring gene will appear to be a pullet for a while so they must be straight BR to be completely sure on the sexing, until they are several weeks old. Been there more than a few times with some "unauthorized" breedings, LOL.

Last edited:
Is these Barred Plymouth Rocks? (Don't know b/c they're from MMM's special assorted bargain lot!)
I know I got straight run...but I'm thinking I only see two hens out of this bunch :
(

IF they are straight BR, they are pullets. Of course, aoxa knows that, just adding that little tidbit for folks who are not sure what they have. I had several Silver Phoenix x BR cockerels that looked just like that, with barring almost identical. Thought they were BR pullets, until they hit 3-4 weeks old and the combs started reddening up. Didn't know the Phoenix had bred the BR hens. As with all sex links of that type, had 3 cockerels and one solid black pullet from the same parentage.

The rub is that often a barred cockerel with only one barring gene will appear to be a pullet for a while so they must be straight BR to be completely sure on the sexing, until they are several weeks old. Been there more than a few times with some "unauthorized" breedings, LOL.
Exactly. Cross breeds trick you, as do black sex link boys.

I've mentioned the same thing countless times so I just assumed hmalix got them from a hatchery or feed store. Sexing them based on colour/legs works very well for hatchery strains.

Is these Barred Plymouth Rocks? (Don't know b/c they're from MMM's special assorted bargain lot!)
I know I got straight run...but I'm thinking I only see two hens out of this bunch :
(

That last one is a girl, the one above her is a boy. Second picture isn't even a Barred Rock.

Last edited:
Thanks! I had a feeling that solid black one wasn't a Barred Rock (brand new to chickens and stumped myself by getting the mixed bag from McMurray! Kind of having fun guessing!)
Back to the catalog I go to figure this guy out ($10 says it's a boy...)

Exactly. Cross breeds trick you, as do black sex link boys.

I've mentioned the same thing countless times so I just assumed hmalix got them from a hatchery or feed store. Sexing them based on colour/legs works very well for hatchery strains.

That last one is a girl, the one above her is a boy. Second picture isn't even a Barred Rock.
Yes, it sure does, but as you and I know, Justine, our BR lines just aren't so easy. I have a three day old BR chick that I'd post a photo of if I could, but I don't have that capability for some reason right now, not sure if it's BYC or my DH's computer (mine is in the shop). I'm positive it's a cockerel, was the moment he fell out of the egg-huge looking comb, visible wattles and Godzilla legs. Now, the head spot says "boy" as well to me, but he has some leg wash that most folks would normally associate with a pullet. Would love to get your opinion to back mine up (or contradict, whichever!). :)

Back
Top Bottom