Sight Sexing Barred Plymouth Rock Chicks at Hatch

Pics
This is Little Stephen Fawcett, a 3-4 week old Barred Plymouth Rock. I'm think this is a male however my wife just loves the little dude and is conviced it's a girl (we live in the city and can't keep roosters so we'd have give him back) So what do we think, male or female?

Oye, sorry to your wife, but that looks like a little roo. I know how bad it sucks to love a chick and have it be a roo!

Male or female? 8 week old Barred Rock

Last edited:
New to the site and to chickens. Any help totally appreciated as we have a chance to get a roo from some neighbors but need to make sure we don't already have one. We have about 1 month old BR's bought from feed store who "only deal in pullets" (haha) but out of the 4, one is very much lighter than the others, and seems to have lighter colored legs, is the most aggressive out of a rather docile bunch of 8 (we have 4 buff op's in the mix too) also the pinkest headgear.

We don't want to take the neighbors and then and up with 2 roo's cause then we'd have to get a few more hens to keep them all happy and from what I've seen this can indeed become a snowballing situation...hahaha.

Here's the middle one in question.

And here on the left are the feet/legs in question.

Thanks for any and all help, this site is so much fun. I read through all 21 pages of this thread. Hubs is out finishing the coop building. I'm already loving having these girls/guy.....

what do you all think on these. I think one hen
Looks like two hens for me. The very dark one up against the mesh in the corner, and MAYBE the not-as-dark one who's head is right next to her. Might be the shade making that one look darker then the rest, too, though..

Edited. Nope, all boys but that one black one, just noticed your other photo was slightly different and the questionable one stepped into the light. Sorry! What rotten odds.

Last edited:
Bought these babies since march 15, now that they are bigger , I notice a difference between both. The color of legs and crest. Does this make a difference in gender, or are they still too young to tell?

Bought these babies since march 15, now that they are bigger , I notice a difference between both. The color of legs and crest. Does this make a difference in gender, or are they still too young to tell?

Yup! Classic boy coloring picture left and girl coloring picture right. Are you positive the girl side is a BR though? Those legs are pretty pale, could be a Cuckoo Marans with those pale almost whitish legs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom