Sight Sexing Barred Plymouth Rock Chicks at Hatch

Pics
I notice a lot of misconceptions about sexing Barred Plymouth Rocks, and I wanted to make a post on just that. They can be sexed at hatch by a combination of down colour, head spot, and leg pigment. It's not just one of these things, but a combination of them. However, once chicks are feathered out they are relatively easy to sex based on overall colour unless you have the Stukel or Good Shepherd line of Barred Plymouth Rocks (you most likely do not have this line, so these tips are valid for you).
Example of fully feathered colour difference before any other sex characteristics are shown:

900x900px-LL-3ec3475c_BarredRocks056.jpeg

Photo Credit Pullets are overall darker than Cockerels due to having only one copy of the barring gene. Cockerels have two copies and this provides them with more white in between the black bars, giving them the appearance of being a shade lighter. Hens pass down a copy of the barring gene to their son ONLY. The Cock passes down a gene to both his sons, and his daughters. Let's give you some pointers on sexing these chicks once they are hatched and dried off. I came across a really helpful article dated February 1941 - so this is not a new trick. It is tried and true. I have successfully sexed my chicks based on this method:

BookReaderImages.php

Examples above are different male head spots
BookReaderImages.php

Above are examples of different types of female head spots. See bellow pictures of day olds in colour.
900x900px-LL-604e1ed1_male-chicks.jpeg
Above Males
900x900px-LL-8538db45_female-chicks.jpeg

Above Females
900x900px-LL-98a84a4b_barred-rock-sexing-feet.jpeg
Leg pigment colour difference: Females darker, males lighter Now take into consideration that this works best for common Barred Plymouth Rocks. Exhibition Rocks are much trickier to sex at hatch. It's not about the SIZE of the head spot, but rather the definition of the head dot. An example of one of my MALE chicks at hatch. Small head dot, but not defined. Half circle of cream was visible on head.
LL

I notice a lot of misconceptions about sexing Barred Plymouth Rocks, and I wanted to make a post on just that. They can be sexed at hatch by a combination of down colour, head spot, and leg pigment. It's not just one of these things, but a combination of them. However, once chicks are feathered out they are relatively easy to sex based on overall colour unless you have the Stukel or Good Shepherd line of Barred Plymouth Rocks (you most likely do not have this line, so these tips are valid for you).
Example of fully feathered colour difference before any other sex characteristics are shown:

900x900px-LL-3ec3475c_BarredRocks056.jpeg

Photo Credit Pullets are overall darker than Cockerels due to having only one copy of the barring gene. Cockerels have two copies and this provides them with more white in between the black bars, giving them the appearance of being a shade lighter. Hens pass down a copy of the barring gene to their son ONLY. The Cock passes down a gene to both his sons, and his daughters. Let's give you some pointers on sexing these chicks once they are hatched and dried off. I came across a really helpful article dated February 1941 - so this is not a new trick. It is tried and true. I have successfully sexed my chicks based on this method:

BookReaderImages.php

Examples above are different male head spots
BookReaderImages.php

Above are examples of different types of female head spots. See bellow pictures of day olds in colour.
900x900px-LL-604e1ed1_male-chicks.jpeg
Above Males
900x900px-LL-8538db45_female-chicks.jpeg

Above Females
900x900px-LL-98a84a4b_barred-rock-sexing-feet.jpeg
Leg pigment colour difference: Females darker, males lighter Now take into consideration that this works best for common Barred Plymouth Rocks. Exhibition Rocks are much trickier to sex at hatch. It's not about the SIZE of the head spot, but rather the definition of the head dot. An example of one of my MALE chicks at hatch. Small head dot, but not defined. Half circle of cream was visible on head.
LL

I have a Stukel rooster over Stukel hens and Good Sheperd hens. I use the leg coloring to sex my chicks. Do you know of anyone with Good Sheperds that would sell a couple of male chicks?

Could anyone help with sexting these two Barred Rocks? I'm new to this and can't tell by the tips given in this thread. Thanks for any and all advice =)

Hey all! So, the perennial question. Pullet or roo?

They should be right at two weeks old today. Please note!! This lil fella was sold to me from Tractor Supply as a BR from a bin of straight run only-BRs but uh. They definitely have feathered legs and more white flesh/legs so I'm thinking a cuckoo marans may have slipped in that bin.

They're starting to get a little pink in their wattle and they're SUPER, well, cocky, territorial. Day one they had a small, defined white dot and dark feathering.

Current pictures (sorry, they're not great):

Baby pics:

Thanks so much!

Wondering if I can get some sexing help...I believe I have 2 roos and 1 pullet but I'm a newbie and not 100%
[/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom